• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this yet? (3.5)

drnuncheon

Explorer
Brisk-sg said:
It increases the Size Category by One (I never understood why they didn't do this with enlarge), thus giving you increased reach, and larger weapons. So going from a Medium to a Large Creature (with a longsword) gives you:

* +2 Strength
* -2 Dexterity
* -1 penalty to Attack and AC
* Natural Reach of 10 Feet (Very Nice)
* Large Longsword (3d6 damage)
* Lasts 1/min per level

What kind of large longsword are you weilding that does 3d6 damage? I think you mean 2d6, which is a big difference.

Anyway, the stat boosts are a negative overall: -2 AC total, +0 attack total, +1 dmg total - so really the primary benefits of the spell are the reach and the increased weapon damage.

J

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Re: Large Spell

The penalty to Dex makes Combat Reflexes a little less effective. If the choice is between 15 foot reach and 2 AoO's, or 10 foot reach and 3 AoO's, it's not always wisest to go with the first option.

Similarly, if the horde would have hit you on a 19+, but now hit on a 17+,... well, is that worth +1 damage?

Number47

First Post
Wouldn't the reach for a Large creature wielding a upsized spiked chain be 20 feet?

I don't have the books in front of me. Does Enlarge Person give you the -1 to hit, -1 AC for being sized Large? Overall higher penalty, again.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Re: Enlarge Person

two said:
Agreed.

Enlarge person is now the best 1st level buff spell ever, period.

Expect to see a lot of potions of enlarge, wondrous items of enlarge, rings of perma-enlarge.

The reach thing alone is worth at LEAST ONE extra AOO per combat (as first bad guy moves from 10 to 5), and probably a lot more. (throw in cleave and combat reflexes and whatever).

If you start out with a reach weapon and THEN get enlarged, it's just ugly.

If you have a spiked chain or other such weapon, it is absolutely gross.

Enlarged spiked chain = 15 foot reach. Excellent weapon damage. Combat reflexes anyone?

The "down" side of being bigger is more than made up for in the strength bonus, the extra attacks via AOO, and reach.

Honestly, this just scares me some.

Do people even KNOW what a 1st level Barbarian, raging, with a greatsword, who was enlarged by his 1st level wizzie buddy will do to a CR1-2-3 horde? YIKES! That's at FIRST LEVEL!!!!

It lasts for a single fight, on a single person. Also, chances are that it's the one of two 1st level spells the wizard has. Finally, whoever accepts the spell will lower their ac significantly (the average barbarian - dex 13, studded leather, raging and enlarged - will have an Ac of 10)

That looks to me like it's coming close to the 20% that a cr 1 encounter should swallow.

Last edited:

LGodamus

First Post
by the way the reach of a large spiked chain would be 20' not 15'. It says in the weapon section that a reach weapon doubles you base reach .

youspoonybard

First Post
Re: Enlarge Person

two said:
Agreed.

Enlarge person is now the best 1st level buff spell ever, period.

Expect to see a lot of potions of enlarge, wondrous items of enlarge, rings of perma-enlarge.

The reach thing alone is worth at LEAST ONE extra AOO per combat (as first bad guy moves from 10 to 5), and probably a lot more. (throw in cleave and combat reflexes and whatever).

If you start out with a reach weapon and THEN get enlarged, it's just ugly.

If you have a spiked chain or other such weapon, it is absolutely gross.

Enlarged spiked chain = 15 foot reach. Excellent weapon damage. Combat reflexes anyone?

The "down" side of being bigger is more than made up for in the strength bonus, the extra attacks via AOO, and reach.

Honestly, this just scares me some.

Do people even KNOW what a 1st level Barbarian, raging, with a greatsword, who was enlarged by his 1st level wizzie buddy will do to a CR1-2-3 horde? YIKES! That's at FIRST LEVEL!!!!

I vote for Animal Growth as the best 5th level buff spell.

Especially with summoned animals and Augment Summoning.

two

First Post
I think you guys are missing the boat on Enlarge Person

Somewhat...

How expensive is a free attack in combat?

Speed enchantment to a weapon = +3 bonus

Hasted doing full attack = +1 attack

Enlarge Person on a non-reach medium weapon, making it a reach weapon = priceless.

Take your standard fighter with greatsword. No reach. Cleave feat. Power attack, normal. Then cast a 1st level spell on him (or get a cheap potion). What is the result?

Not only at least 1 AOO right off the bat (your sword now has reach and if the enemy can't tumble in you will get a free attack), and it is very likely you will get a few more (particularly when there is more than one enemy in a choatic battlefield).

Combat Reflexes, Knockdown, Improved Trip stuff is just gravy, you don't even need it to justify Enlarge Person.

Any 1st level spell that grants somewhere in the region of 1-3 extra attacks per combat, and possibly MANY more given reasonable feat choices, is an absolute no-brainer.

What's the total damage and tactical result of 1-3 extra attacks? With an enlarged weapon? We are talking major owie here folks. It's not difficult to envison situations where an AOO from reach causes an attack which kills an enemy which causes a cleave to another (2 free attacks), etc. etc.

The Halfling

Explorer
Don't forget, however, the Combat Reflexes requires a minimum of 13 Dex. That would mean you would have to have a MINIMUM of Dex 15 for you to use the feat while enlarged. That -2 Dex penalty can hurt in other ways besides AC.

Darklone

The Halfling said:
Don't forget, however, the Combat Reflexes requires a minimum of 13 Dex. That would mean you would have to have a MINIMUM of Dex 15 for you to use the feat while enlarged. That -2 Dex penalty can hurt in other ways besides AC.

I am not so much worried about the polearm dude with CR, Imp Trip and stuff who uses that spell... it's more about the dwarven warrior with shield and waraxe. He still has a fine AC and this is for him just a nice possibility to negate the ogres reach :D

Remove ads