D&D 5E Why I Think D&DN is In Trouble

Hussar

Legend
I'd also point out that there is hardly a dearth of fantasy movies this year. There's at least one a month coming out. Malifacent, two Hercules movies, new 300 movie and more. It's not like fantasy is dead. It's actually going pretty darn strong.

Derren

Hero
I'd also point out that there is hardly a dearth of fantasy movies this year. There's at least one a month coming out. Malifacent, two Hercules movies, new 300 movie and more. It's not like fantasy is dead. It's actually going pretty darn strong.

A dark Disney movie and 300 part 2 hardly counts as "traditional" fantasy.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A dark Disney movie and 300 part 2 hardly counts as "traditional" fantasy.

Uh, sure they are. Why not? Snow White is damn traditional fantasy, and a fantasy movie based on a comic book seems pretty traditional fantasy to me. Then you'll have Hobbit 3. And we just had Frozen, and How to Train your Dragon 2 is scheduled for this year too. If you want "non-traditional fantasy" I'd say Hunger Games is mostly that, and it too has another couple movies planned, and then Noah and Pompeii are sort-of fantasy. Legend of Conan is slated for 2015. Seems like fantasy is going strong right now.

Last edited:

Thyrwyn

Explorer
And Pompeii. . . that certainly fails to qualify as historical fiction.

Ahnehnois

First Post
D&D isn't exactly traditional fantasy. At a minimum, it's got sci-fi and horror elements mixed in, and the fantasy elements (monsters, magic, epic heroes) are exaggerated to ludicrous extents.

Hussar

Legend
Heck if you want non trad fantasy you could either go with Spelljammer or Planescape. Tie into the steampunk angle.

There are many ways you could go. It's pretty obvious why Hasbro is having it out with everyone and trying to get all the licensing rights back.

Votan

Explorer
Heck if you want non trad fantasy you could either go with Spelljammer or Planescape. Tie into the steampunk angle.

There are many ways you could go. It's pretty obvious why Hasbro is having it out with everyone and trying to get all the licensing rights back.

At the very least it would be great publicity for the game. How many people became interested in fantasy from Game of Thrones or the Fellowship of the Ring. Something neat aimed at the teen market has a chance, and (over the life of the game) some neat stories are bouncing around the D&D universe.

Remove ads