D&D 5E Why I'm Buying the Starter Set

Iosue

Legend
I had a $150 Amazon gift certificate that I never knew what to do with, so I just ordered the Starter Set and Big Three. The only thing that might have kept me from getting the starter set was no chargen being included. Since it is, it's a no brainer at $16.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I had a $150 Amazon gift certificate that I never knew what to do with, so I just ordered the Starter Set and Big Three. The only thing that might have kept me from getting the starter set was no chargen being included. Since it is, it's a no brainer at $16.

Via Twitter
Mike Mearls‏@mikemearls·1h
To clear up the Starter Set - it's aimed at DMs, so no PC creation in the box. But players will be able to make characters without it.

As a DM, I'll get it. But the kids won't need a copy.

I already bought it for $16 on amazon, because it probably has an adventure in it. Adventure is the entire reason I D&D.

It probably has a solo adventure, and an adventure you can run for friends. I also loved every D&D Red Box ever made, even the 4E one.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Via Twitter
Mike Mearls‏@mikemearls·1h
To clear up the Starter Set - it's aimed at DMs, so no PC creation in the box. But players will be able to make characters without it.

As a DM, I'll get it. But the kids won't need a copy.

That's....that wasn't what I was expecting. Will this just have preset characters? Are they offering a free online character creator? That raises a lot more questions than it answers, IMHO.

WizarDru

Adventurer
That's....that wasn't what I was expecting. Will this just have preset characters? Are they offering a free online character creator? That raises a lot more questions than it answers, IMHO.

Tweets from Mike Mearls this afternoon:

Mike Mearls said:
For a DM running the starter set, there will be pregens to hand out. Players who want to make characters will be able to do so.

Lots of Q's about the staggered release: You will not need the MM or DMG to run a campaign. Or the PH or Starter Set to make a character.

You will be able to run a complete campaign starting in August, with the release of the PH.

So clearly the character creation rules or something will be available from day one outside of the books themselves. Fascinating.

Ichneumon

First Post
I don't really need the Starter Set, but if I see it in a store it'll be damned hard to walk past.

On character creation, I believe that a set of tools and libraries are headed to the D&D website, which will provide the likes of character creation, monsters and campaign assistance. In fact, it may even provide a playable basic game, which would be fitting - go to the D&D site, get D&D.

am181d

Adventurer
Starter Set appears to be an adventure with some pre-gens and enough rules to run out of the box.

Character gen rules appear to be coming via the Wizards website.

$20 is cheap enough that I may pick up the Starter Set just to get a preview of how the rules have changed since the playtest. But from a practical standpoint, I'll probably be using the playtest rules through the end of the year.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I suppose the philosophy is that, given the simplicity/intuitiveness of the rules, players don't need to read a rulebook to get started. All your group needs is a DM with an adventure. Therefore, the Starter Set is more of a "here's how to run this adventure" guide.

It seems they are really listening to the game stores or organized play organizers.

I bet their website will have a free online character generator for levels 1-5 or 1-3.

As an organizer, it was extremely easy to point people to the free online character generator for 4E, when it existed. Plus, what company doesn't like brand new customers being sent to their website over, and over, and over again. WotC will have complete control over what would be many people's first encounter with D&D.

Check out this old website they had for 3.5 ed - it still seems cool http://www.wizards.com/playdnd/playdnd.asp
Click the lower left to play the "Demo Game"

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
The most important to me is that players will still be able to make characters wether from the Starter Set or elsewhere. Its not being able to that would be a missing functionality.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases