D&D 5E Why I'm Buying the Starter Set

Iosue

Legend
Also, on this subject, there was this conversation on twitter as well:

Jester David ‏@DnDJester May 24 : "@mikemearls Will the Tyranny of Dragons mods still be a stand-alone products that don't require other books? 96p seems short for that."

Mike Mearls ‏@mikemearls 1h : "@DnDJester ask me again Tuesday"

So I expect we'll get some of these things straightened out in the L&L tomorrow.

fjw70

Adventurer
Also, on this subject, there was this conversation on twitter as well:

Jester David ‏@DnDJester May 24 : [MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls Will the Tyranny of Dragons mods still be a stand-alone products that don't require other books? 96p seems short for that."

Mike Mearls &#8207 [MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls 1h : "@DnDJester ask me again Tuesday"

So I expect we'll get some of these things straightened out in the L&L tomorrow.

Here is Mearls response to this issue from Morrus
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: [MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls Is the "standalone product" description of ToD from PAX East still accurate?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls: [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] yes, in that if you buy it the resources needed to play it are available for free

am181d

Adventurer
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: [MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls Is the "standalone product" description of ToD from PAX East still accurate?
[MENTION=32417]MikeM[/MENTION]earls: [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] yes, in that if you buy it the resources needed to play it are available for free

This suggests to me that we will be getting some combination of the following:

1) Char Gen online (and/or pre-gens included)
2) "How to Play" online
3) Monsters online? (or maybe just included in adventure)

Iosue

Legend
@Morrus: @MikeMearls Is the "standalone product" description of ToD from PAX East still accurate?
@MikeMearls: @Morrus yes, in that if you buy it the resources needed to play it are available for free
Yeah, Morrus mentioned it upthread. My point is that we may have details in store on Tuesday.

Li Shenron

Legend
Is it a psychological thing that rolling that 16 for your Int for your wizard is that massively different than picking the wizard with the 16 Int?

Yes, it is an enormous difference.

Roll randomly between 5 pregens means that at best you'll be able to play 5 PCs with this product. And if you have some character idea that doesn't conform to those 5, you won't be able to play it.

Roll ability scores (and even nothing else), and you have more than 16 millions possible characters, enough for re-using the same product your entire life and possibly unlife too.

Right...but what constitutes ToD?

I think it's pretty clear how it works now: Basic rules will be publicly available, and that means all 20 levels, probably core-4 classes (with fixed subclass) and core-4 races only, core combat/exploration/interaction rules only, and no frills (no magic items, no feats, no modules...).

Playing a D&D adventure of any level technically only requires these, plus some monsters (which are more likely to be in the adventure rather than the free pdf, although they might put some staple monsters also in the free pdf), so buying an adventure only will be automatically enough to play it.

Which, if you think about it, is very friendly also towards the possibility that a complete newbie accidentally buys an adventure first, without buying anything else.

Hussar

Legend
Roll randomly between 5 pregens means that at best you'll be able to play 5 PCs with this product. And if you have some character idea that doesn't conform to those 5, you won't be able to play it

Snort. Yeah because there are worlds of difference between my 16 Int wizard with a 10 Str and my 16 Int wizard with an 11 Str.

Hyperbole much?

Remove ads