• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is everything twice as big?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
In DnD, a door is 5 feet wide, a double door 10 feet.
A bed is 10 feet long, and 5 feet wide.

For comparison, the average european male is around 5 feet tall.
A double door is DnD is wider than your average ceiling is high.

Why is this?

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

Because a) history and b) math hard and c) most of us have ten fingers.

Corridors in D&D are historically 10' wide. This is big, but 10 is the best number because we have ten fingers. If we want something smaller, we certainly cannot go with numbers other than 1, 2 or 5, because fractions make people fractious.

So, a bed must be 10' long, because 5' is clearly too short.

Anyway,

Ken

MarkB

Legend
When you're likely to have half-orcs, goliaths, firbolgs and dragonborn visiting, you build to a generous scale.

sim-h

Explorer
Everything in the OP is wrong.

A door or bed is exactly the size the DM says it is.

Average European male height is 5' 8" - 5' 11" depending upon country.

This thread enrages me. We had enough fake news in 2018, don't start the New Year like this!

Iry

Hero
Anything between 6-10 rounds up to 10. So the door is not actually 10 feet wide, it just takes up 10 feet of conceptual space.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Everything in the OP is wrong.

A door or bed is exactly the size the DM says it is.

Average European male height is 5' 8" - 5' 11" depending upon country.

This thread enrages me. We had enough fake news in 2018, don't start the New Year like this!

And the average male Netherlander is over 6'1" I don't know of any nation so short as to bring the average down to 5' taking all that into account.

Remove ads