D&D General Why is tradition (in D&D) important to you? [+]

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I've noticed this come up in a number of discussions lately. Tradition in D&D is something I find really interesting. Sometimes, when changes are being made to D&D, one of the common arguments against change is the valuing of Tradition. For example, some folks may argue that Wizards of the Coast shouldn't change the name of something, stop using a rule, or publish a new setting instead of an old one because of Tradition.

For me, there are a few traditions that I think help define D&D, even if they don't make much sense. The six ability scores are a good example of this; if D&D were created now I doubt they would use such ambiguous names that can often define the same things, such as Intelligence and Wisdom. But without those six ability scores, D&D just doesn't feel like D&D.

On the other hand, tradition really doesn't hold much sway over me. Though I've been playing since 2e, I've really enjoyed seeing play restrictions (such as race/class restrictions, multiclass restrictions, etc) go by the wayside. I find changes really invigorating. And I've always used homebrewed campaign settings.

So I'm curious about those of you who really value Tradition in D&D. Why is it important to you? What value does it have?

Please keep in mind this is a + Thread. I honestly expect to disagree with a lot of folks who post here, but I'm not going to post those disagreements. Instead, I want to know more about perspectives that are different than mine!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I've noticed this come up in a number of discussions lately. Tradition in D&D is something I find really interesting. Sometimes, when changes are being made to D&D, one of the common arguments against change is the valuing of Tradition. For example, some folks may argue that Wizards of the Coast shouldn't change the name of something, stop using a rule, or publish a new setting instead of an old one because of Tradition.

For me, there are a few traditions that I think help define D&D, even if they don't make much sense. The six ability scores are a good example of this; if D&D were created now I doubt they would use such ambiguous names that can often define the same things, such as Intelligence and Wisdom. But without those six ability scores, D&D just doesn't feel like D&D.

On the other hand, tradition really doesn't hold much sway over me. Though I've been playing since 2e, I've really enjoyed seeing play restrictions (such as race/class restrictions, multiclass restrictions, etc) go by the wayside. I find changes really invigorating. And I've always used homebrewed campaign settings.

So I'm curious about those of you who really value Tradition in D&D. Why is it important to you? What value does it have?

Please keep in mind this is a + Thread. I honestly expect to disagree with a lot of folks who post here, but I'm not going to post those disagreements. Instead, I want to know more about perspectives that are different than mine!
Tradition is important to me, because I like continuity from one edition to another. For me too many changes or severe changes create a different feel for the game. If there isn't a very good reason for it to change, I want it to remain the same or very similar.

soviet

Hero
I started my interest with reading the Mentzer red box, and started playing with 2e. To me the whole TSR era is 'real D&D' and although I've happily played in every WotC edition I will only run TSR D&D.

I think that tradition is important because, well, there are a million other RPGs out there already. If I want to play some D&D I kind of want to go all in. The nostalgia of my youth and the innocence and clunkiness of those earlier designs is a big part of the magic.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think certain elements give a brand identity to D&D which is worth maintaining. On the other hand, many of the traditional elements I happen to like beyond just tradition so I have never relied on it as the sole reason to keep something.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't really value tradition at all where rules are concerned. I treat each version of the game as it is and play it for the particular experience it produces. If I don't like that experience, I won't play the game. I won't try to make the game into something it is not. In any case, so far so good - I've enjoyed every edition I've played so far.

If we're talking about tropes that tend to remain the same from edition to edition, I'm all in for those. D&D is silly and so are its tropes and I enjoy having a good laugh at them or turning them on their head sometimes.

Raith5

Adventurer
I value 'progress' and adaptation over tradition and I look forward to innovations in rules and mechanisms in new editions. I feel like each addition has improved the game for me in terms of rules. I went back and read the 1e rules and I really cant understand how I played it in the early 80s.

The lore I can take or leave. But I do like some foundational assumptions of D&D - especially its focus on combat and conflict, its class based nature and way leveling up narrates advancement but it bugs me that some ongoing issues like the game bogging down in mid to high level play in most editions.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Tradition to me is just the gravy on top. Good design is good design, and if it happens to have tradition behind it as well, so much the better. That said, I don’t think tradition alone is a good enough reason to keep something. The moment tradition starts getting in the way of improving the game is the moment it stops being a tradition worth preserving, in my opinion.

Scribe

Legend
D&D is more than just numbers, its more than the SRD.

If one likes the canon, doesnt like the canon, likes the classes, doesnt like the classes, alignment, stat attributes, races, all of that stuff adds up to an inertia, that if disregarded or replaced, does lessen what D&D is, for me.

That is what the 'tradition' in D&D is, to me.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Tradition is familiar. It's comfortable and comforting. It provides a common ground and even a common language for those who also share that tradition.

Fireball is a 3rd level spell. Chainmail is AC 5. Fighters, mages, clerics, and thieves. Elves, dwarves, gnomes, and hobbits. It just gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling, you know?

Remove ads