D&D General Why is tradition (in D&D) important to you? [+]

Oofta

Legend
the misinformation campaign lunched (and I have my own tinfoil I wont spread it hear theory) against 4e is one of the most successful ones I have ever seen outside of politics. The number of false stories and false 'facts' that have been and are still considered 'common knowledge' amazes me...
Just because people didn't like the game doesn't mean there was a conspiracy. The internet echo chamber is a real thing and people like what they like. I don't think I would have continued playing D&D if 5E had not come out (probably would have tried PF) but my wife hates 4E with a passion and loves 5E.

Different strokes for different folks and all. There's no need for conspiracy theories or playing the blame game, some people just like or dislike different things.

MGibster

Legend
o ... the old feeble minded codgers were holding the game back? No ageism here folks ... move along ... yeah, you too gramps ... nothing to see. :mad:
I can’t move along too quickly, Sonny boy. My arthritis is acting up something fierce and I need to get to the apothecary for a nice poultice to help with my gout.

HammerMan

Legend
Just because people didn't like the game doesn't mean there was a conspiracy.
not at all, and when people say "I don't like D&D," or "I don't like batman", or "I don't like 4e" that is fine...

The internet echo chamber is a real thing and people like what they like.
of course it is.

I don't think I would have continued playing D&D if 5E had not come out (probably would have tried PF) but my wife hates 4E with a passion and loves 5E.

Different strokes for different folks and all. There's no need for conspiracy theories or playing the blame game, some people just like or dislike different things.
there IS a reason to lay blame for lies though...

back to the "I don't like D&D" that is cool, not everyone does, but if someone said "I don't like D&D because it involves swimming pools" that would be wrong... if enough people repeated the lie "You can't play D&D without a swimming pool, and knowing how to swim" then that would be closer to a conspiracy... or maybe closer to home "I don't like/want to play D&D because if my character dies they will expect me to commit suicided in real life" or "I don't like d&D because it is satanic"

some of the 4e blatant untruths I have seen in the last 3 months on this very board are closer to satanic panic level of crazy not true then "I don't like it"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
there IS a reason to lay blame for lies though...

Mod note:
I seems to me that a thread about tradition in gaming is NOT where you should go about placing blame for lies about a game that's come and gone.

Maybe we need a threat to make this stick. So: If folks can't stop reliving edition wars in this thread, they will soon find they cannot post in the thread.

Bring it back on topic, folks.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Started playing in the early 80s, but I'm not very traditionalist about D&D.

I dont care much either way about the fluff, because I always make my own campaign world's and create my own. Gnolls going from doglike humanoid #3 to essentially prime material demon hoardes doesnt bother or excite me because in my world they are my world's gnolls. Simarly changes and edits to Forgotten Realms doesn't phase me because the parts of the FR I import (I use their pantheon) to my world dont have to reflect those changes either.

In the area of mechanics, however, I think the sacred cows hold the game back. The basis of the entire system (d20+mod) is too shaky to build the game system I think best. At low mods the d20 creates way too much swing and you have illiterate barbarians out-researching a scholar wizard. At the other end of the spectrum in an escalating mod system like 3e when the bonus eclipses the die you have created a system where you either are good or bad at something with no inbetween.

im not arguing d20+mod doesn't work, it just allows a lot of anomolies that you don't find in other systems. I thought Take 10/20 was an excellent way to account for this but that seems to have been dropped in all but passive skill numbers.

Similarly, since 3e attribute scores have essentially been -5 to +5. We keep the 3-20 scale for old school feel, but to an outside observer that scale has no purpose.

All that said, if I sit down to play D&D then if those things were all missing I would think the game was misnamed.

HammerMan

Legend
Similarly, since 3e attribute scores have essentially been -5 to +5. We keep the 3-20 scale for old school feel, but to an outside observer that scale has no purpose.
I honestly think that is one of the traditions that makes me scratch my head the most... 3/5 of the 50 years attributes went from 3-18, and we keep those for tradition... and 18 Int Wizard sounds traditional. Having a 18 Dex rogue or thief does too, but the 18/00 str fighter went away after 2e.

if we really are 99% of the time counting -1 through +5 with out liers being -2 or +6, +7,+8 (belt of giant str) why do we need the 3-18 scale? tradition.

I mean you can even generate by rolling 7d6 drop the lowest take a -2 to each die assign die to stat...so it's not like we NEED 3d6.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
3e scores routinely went above 20(+5). You could start with that +5 and have a 25(+7) by 20th level, and then you had commonly found or purchased stat increase items. Seeing a 30(+10) or higher at high levels wasn't uncommon.

HammerMan

Legend
3e scores routinely went above 20(+5). You could start with that +5 and have a 25(+7) by 20th level, and then you had commonly found or purchased stat increase items. Seeing a 30(+10) or higher at high levels wasn't uncommon.
as much as I disliked it, the 'get +6 item' to stat was a common thought too... so you could start (depending on roll) between 16-20, get 6 level up pts so 22-26 and get a Xof +6 Y for up to a 32 pretty easy... the miniature handbook introduced the belt of magnificence and made it even more gonzo (for gp value less then any 3 +6) you get a +6 to all 6 stats...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases