D&D 5E Why is WoTc still pushing AP's when the majority of gamers want something else?

CapnZapp

Legend
I'd argue that EN5ider is the closest analogy to Dragon/Dungeon.
As in there being nothing closer, probably.
As in actually close, one important distinction remains: official license.

If it was in Dragon/Dungeon, even during the Paizo years, it was official. Even if Wotc later ignored it, they wouldn't have allowed it if it directly contravened the official plans for whatever (dragonborn, the rogue class, shadowfell, the realms...)

If En5ider became official in some capacity; as in having a modicum of Wotc vetting if not a direct line in to "D&D HQ", I believe that would add to its attractiveness. (At least if the goal is becoming "the new Dragon/Dungeon") :)

Well, congrats again. I'm glad it's working out for you. :)
Thanks you.
There was certainly a flare up of interest on the Guild, and I had the baseline writing done to take advantage of early gaps. I'm uncertain if the sales will be sustained, or if things will slow as people reach saturation in the DMsGuild content they're willing to purchase.

When I thinking about 65% vs 50% I've probably lost more money to that ratio than a lot of other creators will even make. Which you'd think would upset me, but really doesn't.
But I have limited interest in being a full publisher. I've looked at that (for my WorldBuilding book) and it's a pain. So much happier being the writer than doing all the nuts-and-bolts stuff. The DMsGuild is a good option for those people who are just fans and want to share their stuff, but don't want to throw it up on a blog (or don't feel ready to submit to En5ider).

Well, in answer to your question, yes, the terms of one deal are better than the terms of the other in my opinion. The terms of places like Patreon or Kickstarter are even better. I make use of multiple publishing outlets, but none exclusively.
The most comparable alternative to the DMsGuild's licence might be Paizo's Community Use license, which allows you to use Pathfinder's names an Intellectual Property, provided you don't charge for it. As d20pfsrd.com learned, even running a gaming store to offset website costs isn't allowed, so it has to be a free site or operated at a loss.

When you compare fan publishing between the DMsGuild and Paizo, even losing half your money doesn't seem that bad.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The most comparable alternative to the DMsGuild's licence might be Paizo's Community Use license, which allows you to use Pathfinder's names an Intellectual Property, provided you don't charge for it. As d20pfsrd.com learned, even running a gaming store to offset website costs isn't allowed, so it has to be a free site or operated at a loss.

When you compare fan publishing between the DMsGuild and Paizo, even losing half your money doesn't seem that bad.

It's not "fan publishing"; if you're selling it, it's just "publishing". Anything else is gatekeeping. There's no difference between you and me, other than the license we currently choose to use. We're both just publishing.

Why does that suck? Please don't feel sorry for me. I'm flying along in life. Please save your sorry for all those disadvantaged people out there.
So WotC shoving adventure paths down your throat is the only thing that's preventing your life from being perfect? I guess this makes it more clear why it is such an important issue for you.

It's not "fan publishing"; if you're selling it, it's just "publishing". Anything else is gatekeeping. There's no difference between you and me, other than the license we currently choose to use. We're both just publishing.
Prior to the DMsGuild I would have agreed: either you're a fan sharing your homebrew content (read: giving away), or you're a full fledged publisher expected to obey all the legal hoops.

To me, the DMsGuild really does seem to be a step between.
You're not just someone posting content on your website with pics "stolen" from DeviantArt or Google. But neither are you expected to understand the difference between the SRD and OGL - what is Open and Closed content - and are held to the same standards as other small 3rd Party publishers. (You're not even provided with the full suite of publisher tools on the DMsGuild.)
It occupies a somewhat similar role to what the magazines used to. In that it's a place for new writers to try and share their content and show what they're capable of, earning a name before becoming a "real" publisher or pitching to established publishers. It's certainly handy for publishers like Kobold Press or Goodman Games to evaluate someone's DMsGuild offerings before offering them more work.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Prior to the DMsGuild I would have agreed: either you're a fan sharing your homebrew content (read: giving away), or you're a full fledged publisher expected to obey all the legal hoops.

To me, the DMsGuild really does seem to be a step between.
You're not just someone posting content on your website with pics "stolen" from DeviantArt or Google. But neither are you expected to understand the difference between the SRD and OGL - what is Open and Closed content - and are held to the same standards as other small 3rd Party publishers. (You're not even provided with the full suite of publisher tools on the DMsGuild.)
It occupies a somewhat similar role to what the magazines used to. In that it's a place for new writers to try and share their content and show what they're capable of, earning a name before becoming a "real" publisher or pitching to established publishers. It's certainly handy for publishers like Kobold Press or Goodman Games to evaluate someone's DMsGuild offerings before offering them more work.

That's all just semantics, really. I'm not on board with any gatekeeping which says "you're a proper publisher, but he is not".

If you're selling your work, it counts. You have the full transactional obligation to your customers; what licenses you happen use (if any) is irrelevant.

The term "real" publisher is exclusionist. If I bought a product from you in exchange for real
money, I'd hold you to the same standard I do anyone else. There's no "I'm just a fan" clause. You take the money, you're a publisher. :)

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

That's all just semantics, really. I'm not on board with any gatekeeping which says "you're a proper publisher, but he is not".

If you're selling your work, it counts. You have the full transactional obligation to your customers; what licenses you happen use (if any) is irrelevant.

The term "real" publisher is exclusionist. If I bought a product from you in exchange for real
money, I'd hold you to the same standard I do anyone else. There's no "I'm just a fan" clause. You take the money, you're a publisher. :)

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app
But not every product on the DMsGuild defaults to taking money. Many (if not most) are Pay What You Want.
The Guild can basically be a tip jar.

As for gate keeping... I can grab a stick, slap on some skates, but that doesn't make me a hockey player. I cook meals for my family every other day but I'm not a chef.
Similarly, I can write a novel, self-publish it on Kindle (even getting a print copy from Lulu or CreateSpace) but that doesn't make me an author or a publisher.
Otherwise anyone slapping a PDF onto their blog is a publisher.
The bar is too low...

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Remove ads