Why modern movies suck - they teach us awful lessons

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
It's not that he's hyper-competent, it's that you know he will always make it out in the end, brooding the whole way, and everyone else saying how awesome he is. For the record I don't blame Salvatore for this; I think that's been pretty much dictated to him since Drizz't became super popular

Remember how much hate mail Doyle got when he got sick of writing Holmes and killed him off?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
It's not that he's hyper-competent, it's that you know he will always make it out in the end, brooding the whole way, and everyone else saying how awesome he is. For the record I don't blame Salvatore for this; I think that's been pretty much dictated to him since Drizz't became super popular
Never really read much of Drizz't beyond the Icewind Dale trilogy

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
..... But I think the issue with politics in art gets more thorny when it is so ever-present, or when there is an orthodoxy that must be adhered to in the art community. And while political movies can be great, especially if they are well crafted and strike the right emotional resonance, they can also be preachy, overly simplistic and propagandistic.
Which is a failure in storytelling, or artistic expression on the part of the creator(s) not a reason not to have politics in the piece of art.

Which is a failure in storytelling, or artistic expression on the part of the creator(s) not a reason not to have politics in the piece of art.

I am not saying you can't have politics in art. There is plenty of art with political messaging I like. Plenty of political movies I enjoy. But the point is it doesn't have to always be the priority of every work of art or of every movie, and sometimes when you try to force it into every film, then you end up with a propaganda machine rather than a healthy artistic community

The point being made wasn't art shouldn't have politics, But that the movie's politics shouldn't' be our primary measure of its quality

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
A lot of things we don't think of as political now were at the time (Michelangelo's David was an anti-Medici statement, Macbeth had a subtext about the Gunpowder Plot), but I'd say there is art that isn't political, or at least not intended to be.
It can be political with out taking obvious sides or the politics are not relevant to you. As pointed out above by the comments on Michelangelo or Shakespeare's History plays.

Remove ads