Why modern movies suck - they teach us awful lessons

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It's one of his funniest films, I was laughing the entire time.

Obviously, it's more vignettes that a coherent whole. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that I thought that the extended McDormand vignette was good, but somewhat lesser than than the absolutely inspired art piece that preceded it.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Obviously, it's more vignettes that a coherent whole. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that I thought that the extended McDormand vignette was good, but somewhat lesser than than the absolutely inspired art piece that preceded it.
I find it hard to name my favorite Wes Anderson.

Grand Budapest is just a masterwork and definitely one of my favorites.

Life Aquatic is very personal to me.

Royal Tannenbaums feels like one of his most personal ones... He has a lot of love for the flawed characters.

Rushmore is also much more raw than his other films, and I imagine a little autobiographical too.

Zardnaar

Legend
They dont always. I think the video picks on Rey Palpatine because its implied that something interesting will happen with her story. What happens isnt really like previous saga stories though. Its jarring in this case because it doesn't fit the SW mold as previous installments did. I dont think it would be as big a deal if this was a SW story and not part of the saga.

So, I think the case is made in two instances of prequel/sequels that didnt match the initial experiences. I'm not sure this would hold up comparing different franchises nor does it mean modern movies suck.

The big problem was TFA went left, TLJ went right and RoS fell apart.

"The Drinker" also writes some suggested fixes for some of the films that are thought provoking because he restricts his re-writes to minimize changes to the actual films while at the same time providing growth and more importantly understandable motivations for the characters. His rewrites of Rey's arc and Luke Skywalker's arc were quite entertaining and plausible.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
"The Drinker" also writes some suggested fixes for some of the films that are thought provoking because he restricts his re-writes to minimize changes to the actual films while at the same time providing growth and more importantly understandable motivations for the characters. His rewrites of Rey's arc and Luke Skywalker's arc were quite entertaining and plausible.
When an online personality uses the term "Mary Sue" in the year 2022 I cannot take any of their work seriously.

Mallus

Legend
Ok, I'll bite. Why is the term "Mary Sue" in 2022 bad?
Mainly because it’s applied to hyper-competent female characters as a criticism, whereas hyper-competent male characters are accepted as normal and good. Expected, even. Of course James Bond and Kirk and Doc Savage are good at a lot of things... and are the protagonists of their respective stories, ie the center.

The term is also kinda lazy criticism. Incurious. Frankly… dumb. Extremely competent characters are staples in many kinds of genre fiction (Holmes, Poirot, etc.). Attempting to turn that quality into a negative without unpacking the role these sort of competence fantasies play in genre fiction and it’s history is… well, bad criticism.

Last edited:

Remove ads