D&D 5E Why my friends hate talking to me about 5e.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Especially stacking it like pancakes like Lydia Deetz's creepier sister in the video is talking about.

No one who isn't a DM has ever said 'Yay! Another week of not adventuring for convalescence!"
I wouldn’t be surprised if after a really brutal battle the players say ‘ok, we’re holing up, doing nothing and resting for a week straight until all our exhaustion levels are gone because none of us want to deal with those, skip to the end of that please DM’

Vaalingrade

Legend
I wouldn’t be surprised if after a really brutal battle the players say ‘ok, we’re holing up, doing nothing and resting for a week straight until all our exhaustion levels are gone because none of us want to deal with those, skip to the end of that please DM’
That's what's being forced on them, yes, but not something they're happy to be doing.

That's what's being forced on them, yes, but not something they're happy to be doing.
I would have no issue as long as we got to just 'fast track' the 3+ long rests

Keep in mind that long healing times in early D&D were there to eat up time (the most valuable resource according to Gygax), which the characters have to pay for in lodging etc with an aim to keeping them poor and thus justifying more adventuring for gold.
yeah that is what I used my 'short rest 1 night' 'long rest 1 week' for.

G

Guest 7034872

I'm more after the threat of exhaustion. I don't want the PCs to wait until they drop to 0 hp to do something about the damage they're taking. Making them retreat, rearrange (swapping ranks, possibly) or force an in-combat heal is what I'm after.
That's what especially interests me about this tweak: it isn't there to cause real hardships; it just dissuades players from using potions and Healing Word as "cheat codes" for combat.

Tentatively, I really like this idea.

Stalker0

Legend
It's amazing how quickly these discussions go from "Here's something you can do" to "Nobody should ever do this and here's why."
If someone says, "you all could jump off that bridge", its pretty natural for people to start saying why its a bad idea:)

When people give houserule ideas, its very natural for people to jump in and explain why that idea might not be the greatest one for many players. That can always be ignored of course, but its not amazing that we shift into these notions....its very natural.

Remove ads