D&D 5E Why Not? A Variant Captain Fighter

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Dramatic Maneuvering
By forgoing an attack or spending an additional superiority die you may declare your maneuver dramatic such a maneuver will affect multiple allies and enemies (only the non-damaging effects) nearby which see the maneuver.

For example your menacing attack may now inflict fear in enemies within range.
For example your rallying cry may now affect allies within range.
Or even your push maneuver now pushes or induces movement in more than one enemy

Obviously not a finished idea nor am I sure about the numbers but captures enhancing existing maneuvers with a coherent visualization similar to (scanning for openings in that regards)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Risky Maneuvering was an idea I had in an earlier thread it enabled a Bravura effect which might be balance neutral trading granting an enemy an opportunity attack to gain ally or even self an opportunity attack. (adding a bonus to subsequent attack based on mental stat and superiority die and it quits being so neutral)

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Out of curiosity, is this intended to be balance-neutral to the current fighter? I wasn't sure where the space was to put features in if you weren't leveraging subclass.
Fairly close, yeah. But, the fighter could stand to get a few enhancements that only impact interaction and exploration, without being made OP.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In some ways I see the first part of this project as putting some minor finishing to the development of the Battlemaster (OK with some nods to Champion no reason not to). When I first seen the BM during Next development I thought it seemed to have plenty of potential, but the result looked like the designers had gone ok good enough without moving past the play test presentation nothing to finish it off. So things which connect into that are a good thing. The Battlemaster is well in some sense Warlord in name, fulfilling on that connects back to 2e Fighter and the Battle of Nine Swords where the School of the White Raven becomes a named subset of the Maneuvers.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Maneuver: Escape distraction - allies may freely disengage from the target enemy and move up to X feet; Dramatic version enemies able to see or hear you in 30 feet are considered a target.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Maneuver: Escape distraction - allies may freely disengage from the target enemy and move up to X feet; Dramatic version enemies able to see or hear you in 30 feet are considered a target.
Stuff like this is where I think Heroic Actions (renamed Legendary Actions) can come in.

You get 1 Heroic Action each time you would get an Extra Attack. You can take a Heroic Action during your turn or after another creature’s turn. Regardless of when you take a Heroic Action, it counts as having made an attack as part of the Attack Action.

Stuff like that can be options for Heroic Actions. Instead of an Attack, you do the thing. It still counts as having made an attack as part of the attack action.

Action Surge would give you back all your Heroic Actions, probably.

put like, 2-3 options at level 5, couple more at 11, and a couple more at 17.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Stuff like this is where I think Heroic Actions (renamed Legendary Actions) can come in.

You get 1 Heroic Action each time you would get an Extra Attack. You can take a Heroic Action during your turn or after another creature’s turn. Regardless of when you take a Heroic Action, it counts as having made an attack as part of the Attack Action.

Stuff like that can be options for Heroic Actions. Instead of an Attack, you do the thing. It still counts as having made an attack as part of the attack action.

feels like reactions through the back door too.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

I definitely like off turn actions particularly good for the help action if you think about it. Also of note all characters turns are technically happening at the same time in game world time.... so whenever they do their escape even if it remains on their turn it can be seen as a reaction to the notification that an opening to regroup was announced the allowing it to be more efficient/effective ie not take up action resources of the subjects because it took up resources of the Warlord is perhaps the key. Doing it right away? on the warlords turn mostly just makes it easier in game terms.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Arguably if you fewer more dangerous battles spending of a reasonable number of HD mid fight is really just maintaining the degree of "swing" compared to those following 6 to 8 a day paradigm. It isn't making anything easier.
Based on polls this is actually what people are really doing and were doing in 4e and other editions as well. At least the fewer battles part. Perhaps this could have been the variant rule called Heroic Surges. Whenever you gain hit points (temporary or otherwise) due a spell or ally action you may spend HD to regain HPs the total that you may use this way per short rest is 1/2 your total HD round up?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases