D&D 5E Why not Alternity? (Or, will or how might WotC do SF?)

Reynard

Legend
I think with bounded accuracy, a 5E sci-fi system could work, but it wouldn't be my preference. Any sort of class system and especially the skill system would need a major overhaul.
See, I don't understand this line of thought at all. Sci-Fi has just as many recognizable archetypes as fantasy does -- or just as few, depending on how you view it. Why should there be classes in Medieval Funtime Land but not Future Funtime Land, or vice versa? The argument doe not hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
See, I don't understand this line of thought at all. Sci-Fi has just as many recognizable archetypes as fantasy does -- or just as few, depending on how you view it. Why should there be classes in Medieval Funtime Land but not Future Funtime Land, or vice versa? The argument doe not hold up to any sort of scrutiny.
I think he means modern and future characters are often more complex and have a more varied porte-folio of skills compared to medieval ones. A class system is also problematic to me for sci-fi.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I think he means modern and future characters are often more complex and have a more varied porte-folio of skills compared to medieval ones. A class system is also problematic to me for sci-fi.
classes I could see but maybe more modular?
the skill system would be redone because it could be better and it should be better.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
classes I could see but maybe more modular?
the skill system would be redone because it could be better and it should be better.
Considering I stated earlier in the thread I don't want a D&D in space variant game I'm not attached to classes. I don't want everything about my sci-fi characters to be tied to a class concept just like in D&D.

For example, in The Expanse the main characters all know how to operate the ships auto-doctor features.

I would like Professions with levels of specializations you buy in, a list of general sci-fi talents and a modified list of skills to reflect a sci-fi game.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
The problem we had with d20 Future and using classes for sci-fi is that it leads to multi-classing galore. It was unmanageable and unbalanced when coupled with feat cherry picking.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
so logically you do not want a wotc game?
At the moment yes. I currently play The Expanse AGE rpg, by Green Ronin.

Not all WoTC RPGs need be d20 based games. The best way for them to not split the fantasy fan base is to not do a d20 based future game. TSR used to do RPGs with different systems. If they do a non d20 game I would be more willing to try it out and buy it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The problem we had with d20 Future and using classes for sci-fi is that it leads to multi-classing galore. It was unmanageable and unbalanced when coupled with feat cherry picking.

Well, multiclassing galore was the intended use of D20 Modern. Whether the interactions were balanced can be questioned (knowing the 3e era, my instinct it "probably not") but the frequent multiclassing was the system working as intended.

Thomas Shey

Legend
At the moment yes. I currently play The Expanse AGE rpg, by Green Ronin.

Not all WoTC RPGs need be d20 based games. The best way for them to not split the fantasy fan base is to not do a d20 based future game. TSR used to do RPGs with different systems. If they do a non d20 game I would be more willing to try it out and buy it.

Though one can note few of their non-D&D games seemed to last for an extended period (there's a couple you can argue did) so its not going to be clear to WOTC that going there is what they want to do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases