• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Play D&D?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Just in case it needs to be said, I feel pretty confident in making the general statement that, if you are spending your leisure time doing something that isn't fun, you should stop doing that thing.

Votan

Explorer
Oh, I've noticed it all right- kinda hard to miss it really, especially with all the furore about the launch of version 2.

Fortunately, 4Ed isn't my D&D, so after a certain selection of books, it's been free for me to play.

Which is good, since I'm one of the guys who answered "Colossal" in that thread about size of RPG collections.

Which version is your preference?

If the Rules Cyclopedia was not such a pain to obtain, I wonder if I would do BECMI at some point.

Budalic

First Post
/Never mind. Carry on./

My online game of choice is DDO. All trappings of D&D 3e, in a shared world, with a bit tweaked mechanics. And now its F2P (or part of game is, at least) and, judging by people that were there form start, a lot better than at launch.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

WoW? Really? This might be a bit condescending, but i tought that majority of that game's communitiy are trolls, flamers, and sexist and/or racist people.

If you have nothing polite to say, then perhaps it is best to say nothing at all?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
WoW? Really? This might be a bit condescending, but i tought that majority of that game's communitiy are trolls, flamers, and sexist and/or racist people.

I'd say that it's more than a bit condescending. It's also wildly inaccurate.

Argyle King

Legend
Why play D&D when World of Warcraft exists? I mean, it's there -- it's RIGHT THERE. And all your friends are playing it. Why not give up the weekly D&D sessions? They're cutting into your raiding time!

It's like snail mail vs. e-mail. Why do some people refuse to change with the times?

- Ron ^*^

with the caveat that D&D is not the only rpg I play, I will answer this question by saying I find tabletop gaming to be a far richer experience in nearly every way. I honestly tried WoW, and I hated it. I in no way felt that my character had any... well, any character.

Get quest --> hack & slash --> collect X amount of item --> complete quest --> go back to step one

That's what my WoW experience felt like. For some people, that's enough, and I really can see why the game is popular. However, for me, it's just not anywhere near what I want out of an rpg experience. Even in a Dungeon Fantasy style game, I still have more freedom. I can interact with the world; my actions matter to the world. I can lose myself into the life of my character and see through his eyes. I find it to be a more personally moving experience. It's more meaningful to my mind.

Likewise, I actually feel the same way about snail mail. I e-mail all the time, and it works perfectly fine. However, there's just something about getting a hand written letter which conveys a sense of feeling that e-mail doesn't.

Really though, the issue I had with WoW was that it just wasn't fun for me.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Why play D&D when World of Warcraft exists? I mean, it's there -- it's RIGHT THERE. And all your friends are playing it. Why not give up the weekly D&D sessions? They're cutting into your raiding time!

It's like snail mail vs. e-mail. Why do some people refuse to change with the times?
Okay, I'll play along. ;)

Plenty of things exist, that I want absolutely nothing to do with. And yes, WoW is one of them. Existence does not dictate interest/fondness/adherence/whatever.

It is not "right there". I don't own a copy, and I don't know anyone IRL who does, or ever has done, or ever will. I mean, gambling could also be said to be "right there". Just no. Thanks, anyway.

And therefore, none of my friends is playing it.

I don't have weekly D&D sessions, either.

No raiding time to cut into - see above.

I use email all the time. Snail mail, not nearly so much. Best of both worlds, baby - woo! :D

Besides, why would I want to go banging my head against a brick wall, when I can instead go traipsing off through fairy rings and interacting with the little people, while sitting in my basement pretending to be an elf, with friends over to help? :confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads