• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Shouldn't I Ban "Come and Get It"?

hong said:
You certainly can. And if you do, describing the effects of this power in-game is an exercise left to the DM.
Just as it would be left to the PC is they did it on a monster. Its clearly a goad/false opening/whatever. Why shouldnt PCs be subject to those? Because you as a player are more intelligent then that and have out of game knowledge? I just dont get what issue there is, or could possibly be with the power being vs a PC as opposed to being against a monster.

hong

WotC's bitch
ForbidenMaster said:
Just as it would be left to the PC is they did it on a monster. Its clearly a goad/false opening/whatever. Why shouldnt PCs be subject to those? Because you as a player are more intelligent then that and have out of game knowledge? I just dont get what issue there is, or could possibly be with the power being vs a PC as opposed to being against a monster.
It's a player free will thing.

The_Fan

First Post
There are no truly mindless things in 4e (no non-abilities), so even the gelatinous cube has SOME intelligence to it.

This is clearly a mook-clearing attack, so perhaps my narrativist sensibility is showing when I say I like it. I've seen it a million times in action movies, anime, etc. where one person is surrounded by goons and either glares at them, pretends to call them over, etc, and they all rush at him en masse only to get their asses handed to them.

For it working against stronger creatures than goons, imagine the climactic fight of The Karate Kid where Daniel-san in the middle of a fight starts goofily standing on one leg. His opponent just charges at him because that's a pretty ridiculous fighting stan-KICK TO THE FACE!

That being said, I think the Charm keyword should be added, because the higher level version (that's really not very different) has it.

Danceofmasks said:
Not just that, but the power works equally well on mindless things that would already be otherwise happily munching on other party members?

...and helpless volunteers.
King: Whoever wants to risk life and limb for the princely sum of 5 gp, step forward NOW.

...and innocent bystanders.
Rogue: Stop or I'll shoot!

...and people the mafia want killed "like it was an accident"
Bus driver: Honest! He just stepped in front! There was no way I could stop in time!

...and the losers of "Simon says"
Simon says step backward! Step forward! Ha ha! You lose again!

...and the wizard of Oz
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND the... Aw Crap!

...and that guy who always farts but won't fess up.
Sorry fighter-dude! He who smelt it delt it! <advances three squares>
But it is also written: He who fled it, shed it!

Mengu

First Post
[silliness]When I read the power, all I could think of was Scorpio, saying "Get Over Here!" I haven't quite figured out how he does it in a burst yet. Maybe he has a weighted, barbed, cat o' nine tails.[/silliness]

I also think the charm keyword is missing there. An interesting variation on the power could be the following:

Get Over Here - Attack 7
You challenge your opponents to a grand melee.
Encounter * Charm, Martial, Weapon
Standard Action - Close burst 3

Target: Each enemy in burst you can see
Attack: Strength vs. Will
Hit: Target must shift 2 and end adjacent to you, if possible. A target that can’t end adjacent to you doesn’t move.
___Secondary Attack: Strength vs. AC
___Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage

This weakens the power a bit since you now need to hit twice to do damage. However, it also is a bit stronger, since it is a rare Strength vs Will power for the fighter that affects the target in some way. it also allows the use of reach weapons. And it still has the previous benefits of being a burst attack that marks all targets, and can still potentially clean up a lot of minions. I think it would still be pretty balanced, compared to the other level 7 fighter attack powers.

hamishspence

Adventurer
my image of it

Is the fighter making the "come and get me" hand gesture that you see in some action movies. It might not make sense for the baddies to come, but its very cinematic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads