• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Why the resistance to D&D being a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
None of the reasons posited why it wouldn't always work as described matter to you?
not especially, i mean, that's the point of the wisdom check is it not, how good were you at getting yourself under the guard's skin that it overrides their training and dicipline, is the bandit more angry at you in that moment than they're scared of their boss-i know i've made decisions that i quickly realise i shouldn't of, does the automaton identify you as a threat that needs to be dealt with immediately, to the mindless zombie you're still a big target making lots of noise and waving your arms.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Not really. It shows that designing rules properly is not that easy and there are a lot of situations and interactions you have to take into account.

Only if you want the rules to handle all the edge cases, instead of leaving it to the GM.

One of the things I'm loving about Shadowdark is exactly for this reason. Conditions (paralyzed, etc.) aren't even defined.

Oofta

Legend
Doesn't 5e D&D have a Goading Attack manoeuvre? Is it magical/supernatural?
Goading attack doesn't force them to attack the PC, it's disadvantage to attack others after you just hit them. Then again, I'm not a big fan of battlemaster.

If have no problem with a lot of classes and subclasses having supernatural abilities. I just want the option to play one that doesn't or that tries to pretend a magic spell isn't a magic spell. My paladin casting Compelled Duel is fine because it's a spell.

Oofta

Legend
not especially, i mean, that's the point of the wisdom check is it not, how good were you at getting yourself under the guard's skin that it overrides their training and dicipline, is the bandit more angry at you in that moment than they're scared of their boss-i know i've made decisions that i quickly realise i shouldn't of, does the automaton identify you as a threat that needs to be dealt with immediately, to the mindless zombie you're still a big target making lots of noise and waving your arms.
If you can get under someone's skin by insulting them then you don't need a special ability.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Not really. It shows that designing rules properly is not that easy and there are a lot of situations and interactions you have to take into account.
At a certain point, you have to acknowledge that you can't account for every edge case and just exhale and let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads