Unearthed Arcana Why UA Psionics are never going to work in 5e.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You think it's because I don't want you to have fun?
Including the Psion would add fun to the game for those that want it. Excluding it denies that fun. You know it, so it doesn't really matter if you want it or not. It's what you are doing and actions are louder than your words.

G

Guest 6801328

Including the Psion would add fun to the game for those that want it. Excluding it denies that fun. You know it, so it doesn't really matter if you want it or not. It's what you are doing and actions are louder than your words.

Ok.

So, first, that's different than wanting to exclude the Psion because I want to deny other people's fun. The denying other people's fun is collateral damage (maybe) but it's not the reason.

Second, I don't see why it's denying your fun. At least, not in any greater way than it's denying my fun to include it. Either you have to include a homebrew or 3rd party content in order to have your fun...which I admit is slightly less convenient than having official content....or I have to exclude official content, which is also slightly less convenient than it would be otherwise.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok.

So, first, that's different than wanting to exclude the Psion because I want to deny other people's fun. The denying other people's fun is collateral damage (maybe) but it's not the reason.

Second, I don't see why it's denying your fun. At least, not in any greater way than it's denying my fun to include it. Either you have to include a homebrew or 3rd party content in order to have your fun...which I admit is slightly less convenient than having official content....or I have to exclude official content, which is also slightly less convenient than it would be otherwise.
3rd party content is rarely any good and I don't have the time or patience to wade through the muck looking for a gem. Especially since I can't preview the entire content before purchase like I can with official books. It's also not playtested at all. 3rd party content is just not an acceptable replacement to having the company who made the rules plug in a Psion.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That's what reviews and the like are for @Maxperson. No one has time to randomly wade though all that content. To say that it's 'rarely any good' while at the same time saying 'I don't have time to look' sorta begs the question though, dunnit?

There are also ways to preview more of a book. PM me for details.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's what reviews and the like are for @Maxperson.

I've known too many people who ask friends to post good reviews to have much faith in reviews.

To say that it's 'rarely any good' while at the same time saying 'I don't have time to look' sorta begs the question though, dunnit?

It was true during 3e when I looked at a lot of third party stuff. I've also tried on DMs guild a while back and had little luck and a lot of wasted time on junk.

G

Guest 6801328

3rd party content is rarely any good and I don't have the time or patience to wade through the muck looking for a gem. Especially since I can't preview the entire content before purchase like I can with official books. It's also not playtested at all. 3rd party content is just not an acceptable replacement to having the company who made the rules plug in a Psion.

Given how often you (and others) criticize the official content, I don't really buy that argument. At all.

And I'm sorry if it takes you time or patience to wade through 3rd party content. But if I wanted to reverse your argument (which I don't) I would say, "So you're willing to ruin my game to save yourself an inconvenience? How petty of you."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Given how often you (and others) criticize the official content, I don't really buy that argument. At all.

You don't have to, but I'm curious about what official 5e content you think I've called junk.

And I'm sorry if it takes you time or patience to wade through 3rd party content. But if I wanted to reverse your argument (which I don't) I would say, "So you're willing to ruin my game to save yourself an inconvenience? How petty of you."
If the inclusion of something you never have to use is going to ruin your fun, something is seriously wrong.

Aldarc

Legend
Some people seem to believe that, but it's an opinion not a fact.

My belief is that "Just leave out the parts you don't like" is basically symmetric with "Just incorporate unofficial content that's missing". Both are easy, and both come with problems. So neither inclusion nor exclusion has the moral high ground. We all want the game we like to be the official version.
If holding a false equivalence position that tries to morally equate the two helps you sleep better at night, then so be it.

EDIT: I read "inclusion vs. exclusion" to refer to content, but maybe you meant people. Yes, including more people is better than excluding them, but I'm skeptical that including more content includes more people, and vice versa. If I quit D&D because I'm sick of dual-rapier wielding gnomes, have I been excluded? I don't think so. Nor do I think that somebody who opts out of D&D because their favorite class hasn't appeared is exluded.
I meant both, because of how content impacts the sort of stories, characters, and such that people can run with D&D.

Do you think I want to deny other people their fun? (I'll agree that if that were the case it would be petty, so in that regard "petty and wanting to deny other people's fun" is redundant.)
Actually? Yeah. Kinda.

Chaosmancer

Legend
It seems like this is either a sufficiently difficult challenge to exist that it's worth repeatedly bringing this statement up or it's not, in which case it's just a meaningless truism that actually adds little to no value to the discussion.

I brought it up once, as a side note to a larger point.

Then everyone started jumping up and down and accusing me of things. Accusing me of wanting a wizard instead of a psion, that I wanted psions to use spell books, that I didn't want psions at all, so I started trying to clarify what I meant. But, here is the original section that this all started from

I don't mind a Psion class. I think it will have to work a little to be different from an Enchanter Wizard with the proper spell list, but I am interested in seeing how they would accomplish that.

Everything past that was me suddenly having to defend that single point. By the way, notice in the second half of the sentence how I expressed interest in how they might accomplish that? That was equally valid to my point, but no one seems to care about that.

I have only brought up so much in the last two days, because people keep trying to accuse me of things I never said.

Why would we need to agree on this? It's not as if this was something worth agreeing to everytime you mentioned the enchanter wizard before. Make this hypothetical psionic enchanter wizard that you think is worth bringing up every time we talk about a psion class.

Again, what do you mean by "every time we talk about a psion class"? I've brought it up a few times, but always in the same vein. That there is a concept which covers a lot of the same theoritical ground.

I wanted to discuss limits, because without those you can decide to attack my choices from any angle, but since you seem to be on the warpath against me for some reason when I have only been trying to get the conversation past the stage of bickering and into discussing design, then fine, I will appease you.

I'll go V. Human, grab Wild Talent, Tower of Iron Will, Telepathic, Warcaster, Magic Initiate, and leave a floating ASI

Enchanter gets the ability to enthrall someone within 5ft, putting them in a daze, the ability to use their reaction to force an attack against another target instead of themselves, The ability to split enchantment spells, and the ability to Alter memories when using Enchantment spells.

Magic Initiate is for Guidance, Control Flames and Speak With Animals

The parantheses were ones where I wanted a spell, but ran out of room. If there is a choice I made you don't like, sub in one of those

Five Cantrips: Friends, Mind Sliver, Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Message
Eight 1st level: Mage Armor, Shield, Charm Person, Sleep, Comprehend Language, Catapult, Cause Fear, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Four 2nd: Mind Thrust, Crown of Madness, Detect Thoughts, Phantasmal Force, (Mind Spike, Shadow Blade, Suggestion, Warding Wind)
Four 3rd: Clairvoyance, Enemies Abound, Hypnotic Pattern. Sending, (Fear, Tongues)
Four 4th: Arcane Eye, Confusion, Locate Creature, Charm Monster (Otilukes Resilient Sphere, Control Water)
Four 5th: Synaptic Static, Dream, Dominate Person, Telekinesis, (Geas, Bigby's Hand, Contact Other Plane, Modify Memory, Scrying, Rary's Telepathic Bond, Animate Objects, Skill Empowerment, Wall of Force)
Four 6th: Eyebite, Mental Prison, Mass Suggestion, Otto's Irresistible dance,
Four 7th: Force Cage, Reverse Gravity, Teleport, Power Word Pain
Four 8th:Telepathy , Feeblemind, Mind Blank, Power Word Stun, (Control Weather, Maddening Darkness)
Eight 9th available took four, go ahead and go back to grab lower spells: Astral Projection, Foresight, Power Word Kill, Psychic Scream, (Wish, Time Stop)

tada

Feel free to rip it apart and make yourself feel better about how none of that could possibly be something we might expect a Psion to do.

Chaosmancer

Legend

You know, I've found a lot of good 3pp content by doing something pretty simple.

Asking people. I found the Kibble Tasty Psion (which I find quite good) because someone who did have the time to go through 3pp content said "hey. I found this and it is really good"

But, if you feel like shouting people down in these message boards is more fulfilling than going and looking for content that will add fun to your game, more power to you, but don't act like your own unwillingness to go looking for things somehow makes it not a valid option.

Some of us are willing to put in a little work instead of being spoon fed content

Remove ads