Why would your wizard ever bother getting Meteor Swarm?

Meteor Swarm is perhaps the weakest and least versatile 29th level daily spell. I don't see much of a reason for getting it, unless you specifically want a fire mage as part of your character concept. In which case, once you reach 30th level as an archmage you make that an encounter spell, and get a better 29th level daily spell.

So far with the PHBI material, you're probably better being an Ice Mage where you'll be better at damage and control, with the selection of feats from there (inflicting vulnerablity + combat advantage).

Danceofmasks

First Post
'cos you have expanded spellbook, and you get 3/3 picks. :D
Seriously though ... I'm a huge fan of legion's hold ... meteor swarm is abit feeble.

DLichen

First Post
Irresistable flame is pretty sweet for fire mages at least.

I already house-ruled Meteor storm to have a sustain standard: attack again (up to 3 times) rule since it stacks up so poorly with Astral Storm and Legion's Hold.

Belphanior

First Post
Meteor Swarm's weakness has been brought up quite often. It compares really poorly to other dailies of its level.

I myself houseruled the following:
On hit, add "and target is dazed (save ends)".
On miss, add "and target is dazed until the start of your next turn."

DemonLord57

First Post
Irresistable flame is pretty sweet for fire mages at least.

I already house-ruled Meteor storm to have a sustain standard: attack again (up to 3 times) rule since it stacks up so poorly with Astral Storm and Legion's Hold.

Hmm, that makes it quite a bit better. I think then I'd actually pick it as one of my two spells from that level. I'd still almost always use Legion's Hold, but then Meteor Storm would have power about comparable to Astral Storm... except for the nasty friendly fire, and that it only does fire damage, which is resisted. I think the trade-off of a larger action for damage is fair, unless you plan on using other very powerful powers (probably dailies), but most likely you wouldn't want to use more than one per encounter.

keterys

First Post

Not even sure you need the max 3 limitation there. At least as sustain standard. If it were minor, you'd definitely want some kind of limitation :)

Meteor Swarm's weakness has been brought up quite often. It compares really poorly to other dailies of its level.

I myself houseruled the following:
On hit, add "and target is dazed (save ends)".
On miss, add "and target is dazed until the start of your next turn."

I thought about knocked prone on a hit - I mean, if you're hit by a meteor (you might fall ;) )

Doc Eldritch

First Post
Heh, it seems almost everyone is houseruling Meteor Swarm. That says something about the spell!

My own personal houserule is that it adds:

Efftect: You can shift all targets in the area 2 squares.
Sustain: Standard

This actually lets the wizard bounce the targets into the 'center', possibly keeping them there for a second round. Thinking of adding a 'all targets are knocked prone.' portion to the end too.

Cadfan

First Post
Or it says something about the people houseruling it. It does a bunch of damage, has an enormous area of effect, and is compatible with a LOT of cool fire spell feats.

Envision it in the context of a tiefling fire mage with the appropriate feats. They'll be getting +1 attack, +4 damage, omitting allies from the area of effect, and piercing fire resistance. Plus nuking the entire battlefield.

Legion's Hold is pretty sweet, but it doesn't make meteor swarm bad.

Remove ads