Critical Role Wildemount releases tomorrow

teitan

Legend
So I really, really love this book, even with reprints of material I have like races, it gives those races some excellent fluff and a stronger place in the world. Goblinoid PCs make sense as they break away from Bane's Curse. The Pallid Elves are a nice twist and the break down from core assumptions throughout the setting is, in my opinion, better handled than Eberron, which I loved, but sometimes seemed to change things for the sake of change than interesting stories. "Oh we have Drow but they like SCORPIONS instead of spiders!" sort of thing. I will probably devour this book over the next few days.

Only a few minor quibbles. Reused art from previous books like the Aaracokra and Firbolg art, I am sure there is more. Only a small handful of spells. I'd like to have seen some more dunamancy spells. Umm, the map scale error is funny though.

Perun

Mushroom
Only a few minor quibbles. Reused art from previous books like the Aaracokra and Firbolg art, I am sure there is more. Only a small handful of spells. I'd like to have seen some more dunamancy spells. Umm, the map scale error is funny though.

I'm looking forward to the book, although I strongly dislike the six-limbed 5e aaracokra :sick: and their eagle-like appearance... sadly,after so many reprints, the chances of them ever going back to their original appearance are non-existent.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I'm looking forward to the book, although I strongly dislike the six-limbed 5e aaracokra :sick: and their eagle-like appearance... sadly,after so many reprints, the chances of them ever going back to their original appearance are non-existent.

Eagle-appearance is not mandatory and doesn't change anything. I've seen a LOT of people's 5e Aarakocra PC art, and it ranges the gamut from Parrots to Vultures to Eagles to Owls etc.

The 6-limbed issue is trickier, though. Personally, my preference for the Aarakocra race is more like the Zelda: Breath of the Wild Rito than this. But it does put into question the issues how they use weapons from the air. You can go the BotW way and have them start falling (or use Matrix slowtime) when they need to draw out their bow and fire an arrow, before catching themselves after putting the bow back away (similar idea for spears or daggers). Or you could have them use Foot Talon-operated weapons. and not stop flying. But all of those require more complex mechanics than 5e likes to utilize (simpler is more accessible).

I hate it as much as I hate 6-winged Dragons, but there are really important accessibility reasons for this. That said, so glad that homebrew is more implementable than EVER before…

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

I'll stick with these....

aarakocra.jpg

aacockra_2.jpg

aaracockra_3.gif

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Although, I will say...that if you photoshop the wings out of the six-limbed ones, they would make for great Tengu (ala Guild Wars).

Remove ads