Wilderlands of High Fantasy - Need Info

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Seeing this quite a bit in my Top 10/25 Collection thread and doing some online research has piqued my interest in said campaign. So tell me, what all is included with the set (yeah, I know Swaord Sorcery has their product page for it, but I want more info)? Go into detail and spoil me rotten. I am really interested in it and would like to know all that yes can gobble up in the wake of interest.

Treebore

First Post
You would probably be better off asking this on the Necromancer boards. In the Judges Guild part, in the Wilderlands boxed set thread. Reading some of the stuff already posted would probably be good too.

Melan

Explorer
Frukathka said:
Seeing this quite a bit in my Top 10/25 Collection thread and doing some online research has piqued my interest in said campaign. So tell me, what all is included with the set (yeah, I know Swaord Sorcery has their product page for it, but I want more info)? Go into detail and spoil me rotten. I am really interested in it and would like to know all that yes can gobble up in the wake of interest.

If you have browsed through the aforementioned free downloads page, you have already seen the Lenap region PDF and its wilderness map. Basically, the Wilderlands Boxed set is a world made up of eighteen such maps with their associated wilderness 'key', stuffed into a boxed set. Many of the other regions are much larger; that is, they have more places described... Lenap is one of the "smaller" ones. The first book of the set also contains some guidelines useful for running a Wilderlands campaign: the Judges secret "ancient history" (which, this being a 70s setting, has a strong science fiction element, even though it is hardly mandatory to use it), random charts for generating ruins and relics, a few optional rules on wilderness adventuring and a few odds and ends.

Basically, this is it. Think of the Wilderlands as a huge sandbox your players can play around in and explore/conquer to your heart's content. The keyed maps give you, the Judge, enough creative sparks to sustain a campaign based almost solely on improvisation; or if you will, enough building blocks to turn into full adventures. The setting has a lot of small details but little macrostructure, making it very flexible indeed - judging by posts on the Necromancer Games messageboards, individual campaigns set therein are very divergent.

If you start a campaign, I will be as immodest as to suggest that you visit the fan downloads area and grab a few of the player maps I made for use with the full set, print them on suitably large sheets of paper and present them to your players. Originally, the Wilderlands sets of the 70s came with player maps, but costs made this impossible for the new box. The real thing is, however, letting the players map the milieu hex by hex, as God himself intended! :D

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The set pretty much comes with 2 books and a bunch of maps...

First is a bit of the history of the world (which seems basically cribbed from Star Trek), then you get a hex by hex description (highlights anyway) of the world, map section by map section.

I was all excited by it myself, but when I finally got it, I was kinda disappointed. The setting doesn't feel particularly coherent in a lot of areas, a lot seems like it was done either by rolling on random tables or computer genrated gibberish. (Like "An angry hill giant with a blue hat lives here")

Some of it is nice, but a lot is just really goofy.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Go read the reviews here. I wrote one. It should pretty much explain what's in there.

Two huge books, and 9 double-sided poster maps.

KenSeg

First Post
Yeah, I used the boxed set more for the adventure seeds when I ran a recent game as we continued to use our homebrew world. Lots of good memories invoked by that boxed set. :)

-KenSeg
gaming since 1978

Remove ads