• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wilderlands of High Fantasy - Need Info

grodog

Hero
I was not an old-school JG fan, but I snapped up a copy of the Wilderlands boxed set when I found it used for 1/2 price at a gaming shop in Kansas City.

I definitely like it on a number of fronts:

• lots of old school adventure ideas to be lifted and resued
  • the two books compile a lot of OOP JG material from a number of disparate sources that I'd never expend the effort to track down, and then present the best of it in one place; to buy the main Wilderlands supplements on eBay would likely cost over $100, not counting the various articles from Pegasus, JG Journal, etc., etc. that are included in the contents
  • Melan's freebie downloads!!!
  • the various old school touches warm my heart, such as the random tables for ruins and the underlying sci-fi in the setting (which harkens to a day when fantasy wasn't so narrowly defined)
  • the boxed set box is built to withstand dragon breath!

I'm most disappointed in the maps, which are printed on pretty low quality paper: they're OK, but I'm probably going to laminate them if I ever get around to playing in the Wilderlands settting itself (vs. stealing all of the good ideas for use in my Greyhawk campaigns).

EricNoah

Adventurer
Just got mine in the mail today. It will definitely provide me with hours of entertaining reading, as well as a good selection of wilderness maps. Do I think I will use it whole cloth? Heck no. I thought Eberron was too "everything in D&D and more!" but this takes the cake. I'll be paring down the races, glossing over the history, ignoring the monsters I'm not familiar with, all that. But that's its beauty. I can take one of those maps, make it the center of the known world, and then go from there. No need to worry about consistency in a world where I can just remove hexes X, Y and Z if they don't work for me. Lots of empty hexes to fit in Dungeon Crawl Classics, Tomb of Abysthor, scads of Dungeon Mag adventures, and maybe some converted older stuff as necessary. I wish the maps had been in color, my only major complaint so far.

der_kluge

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
I'll be paring down the races

Check.

, glossing over the history

Check.

, ignoring the monsters I'm not familiar with, all that.

I haven't seen many that were really all that out of the ordinary. Having Tome of Horrors helps a lot. Which is a great book, in its own right, anyway.

I also replaced "every god under the sun" with a slightly revised FR pantheon.

Remove ads