• Yes

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 22 22.9%

jgsugden

Legend
Of course it will. You have millions of hours of playtesting data in the game that can be mined to tell WotC what is liked, what isn't, etc... Further, they changed mechanics in the game to better suit player needs - and that was also based upon continuing feedback they'd received in development of this game and their prior games that were not officially D&D translations, but obviously heavily leaned on D&D for inspiration.

I'm sure it already has with the new edition in design having access to information from BG3 playtesting (whether they admit it or not).

Personally, I shifted a few ideas about how the game should run based upon seeing how some of the changes they made in Bg3 result in better storytelling. For example, making short rests trivial in terms of time required and extending some spell durations to a flat "until you long rest" are better design mechanics than the current edition for a lot of spells.

It aligns with certain 'spells' I have in my campaign as homebrew that you cast once and they stay cast (no concentration, even if you drop unconcious) until you elect to regain the spell slot during a long rest. For example, there is a mage armor equivalent (that grants an AC of 12+Dex+spell level) that - once cast - stays in effect. If you long rest you can either recover the spell cast used to cast the spell, or keep it active and not recover the spell slot.

In the end, I see about a dozen mechanical changes I expect to see them work into D&D in the coming years, either as the next edition is released, or via a revision within a few years after.

I would get Tactical Adventures to license their engine to an outfit that can write a decent story! Assuming that their engine can accommodate incorporating story and character development at a necessary level...

Solasta is a nice 5E combat simulator. The other aspects of the game are a long way below even adequate, let alone what's expected of a 'AAA' game.
As it stands, the TA engine would need a complete overhaul in order to support more narrative elements (such as remembering what has been said). But it makes more sense for TA to overhaul their own engine and hire a couple of better writers.

As it stands, the TA engine would need a complete overhaul in order to support more narrative elements (such as remembering what has been said). But it makes more sense for TA to overhaul their own engine and hire a couple of better writers.
I think producing a game with the story, writing and (non-combat) gameplay of a Baldur's Gate 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Witcher 3, etc. involves quite a bit more than hiring a couple of writers! Judging by the level of quality of Solasta's non-combat elements, they're a long way from being able to manage this on their own. Maybe a partnership with a game studio that has a track record of producing quality writing and gameplay design?

Remove ads