D&D 5E Will Baldur's Gate 3 Change D&D?

Will BG3 change Tabletop D&D?

• Yes

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 22 22.9%

Did BG1 & 2 (and I guess the Icewind Dale games) have any impact on 2e? I know it came out at the tail end of 2e. Did Neverwinter Nights impact 3e?

I was thinking about this as well. I don't have any industry insights, but as an observer who was around at the time my impression is that the impact of the video games on the 2e and 3e rulesets was minimal.

It would still be a Larian project. Which means its more likely to be story-heavy combat-light. If BG3 proves anything, that the passion you get from doing what YOU like can pay off.

I would get Tactical Adventures (Solasta) to make Icewind Dale 3, not Larian.
I would get Tactical Adventures to license their engine to an outfit that can write a decent story! Assuming that their engine can accommodate incorporating story and character development at a necessary level...

Solasta is a nice 5E combat simulator. The other aspects of the game are a long way below even adequate, let alone what's expected of a 'AAA' game.

Honestly, if Larian were to do another game based on a D&D IP, I think they might actually have the chops for a new Planescape game.

Probably not a true sequel to Torment, per se, since the story of the Nameless One is pretty definitively concluded and should be left alone, but something in the same, narrative heavy vein set in the modern version of Sigil and a curated subset of the planes could work very well.
I mean, why not both? Many of the potential sequel hooks for BG3 would be planar. Granted, it wouldn't have the charm of being low-level in the Planes...

MGibster

Legend
It's going to be a lot of people's first introduction to D&D, just like Gold Box and BG1 and BG2 were. Some number of players are going to look at playing paper D&D or other TTRPGs specifically to replicate or synthesize that experience they had with BG3. They're going to bring in new opinions on what D&D should be like. It's exactly the same way that Critical Role brought in players with new ideas and different opinions, and the D&D novels brought in players with new ideas and different opinions.
It's making me think of all the people who played Cyberpunk 2077 or watched Cyberpunk: Edgerunners on Netflix who showed up for the TTRPG Cyberpunk Red looking for a similar experience. Even now, you can still find a lot of people posting questions about how they can make Cyberpunk Red closer to the computer game or what they saw in the anime.

Very few people have read all the relevant books. We still have people claiming that the Forgotten Realms, and hence standard D&D, is pseudo-medieval. See the reaction on this forum to the balloon in HAT for example.
I'm comfortable classifying it as pseudo medieval. I suppose it'd be closer to early modern Europe, but for most people they have swords, shields, and armor and that's close enough for them.

MGibster

Legend
BG3 is the first one of those that has really emerged into zeitgeist territory, though. Sure, there were great and fairly popular D&D video games before then, but those and the CRPG genre as a whole has still been largely regarded as niche.
Yeah. The Gold Box series came out in the late 80s and continued into the early 1990s which was an era when there weren't a lot of personal computers in the home compared to today.
Finding someone to replace David Warner (RIP) as Irenicus would be a damn near impossible task.
Maybe they could just use the same dialogue?

Remove ads