Will BG3 change Tabletop D&D?

• Yes

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 22 22.9%

No.

There's been D&D video game hits since The Gold Box days. I can't think of one that has changed the tabletop in any significant way.

It may draw some folks into playing the tabletop, but they are separate experiences. We might see a spell or mechanic from the game, but certainly no change in the direction of the design of the tabletop.

Of course, I'm always wrong on these sort of prognostications for just about anything.
BG3 is the first one of those that has really emerged into zeitgeist territory, though. Sure, there were great and fairly popular D&D video games before then, but those and the CRPG genre as a whole has still been largely regarded as niche.

It's like with Final Fantasy and how VII did the same thing for JRPGs. Even though IV and VI were well known, that genre was still largely regarded as niche until VII came along.

Divine2021

Adventurer
We will most certainly see another DnD game in the BG3 engine. Whether that’s a different setting or not all depends on how much money Hasbro throws at Larien. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Eberon, but it could also be Planescape (but it’ll probably be forgotten realms again.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We will most certainly see another DnD game in the BG3 engine. Whether that’s a different setting or not all depends on how much money Hasbro throws at Larien. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Eberon, but it could also be Planescape (but it’ll probably be forgotten realms again.)
Icewind Dale 3.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Only if they included more story than the previous games. I mean, I would LOVE IWD3, but those games were more combat simulators than BG 1 and 2, if memory serves correctly.
Way less story focused, for sure. But Icewind Dale is a big IP for WotC and D&D, what with Driz'zt and all. I would be intrigued by a iteration using this game engine that let one make a whole party of original characters and maybe toned down the edgelord stuff.

Scribe

Legend

I think to not continue to leverage the work done here, would be an error. We are already at the point of going into other Planes, so Planescape and the associated flexibility would be massive.

(I dont say this as I love the City of Doors, no no, of course not...)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Honnestly, now that the engine is tested-out, I'd kill for a nice remake of BG1-2 with a modern engine.

Or a game using BG3 engine, but closer to IWD experience, with less talking and more delving in very themed locals.

Scribe

Legend
I am reminded of those scenes from the first Dune movie where the characters were using those sonic weapons. With just a word, they were able to shatter rock, crush organs, etc. I could definitely see a Sapphire Dragonborn doing the same thing, but with a word in Draconic. ;)

I have to create a new character each time, but this is the sonic one for example.

SonicBreath.jpg

Remove ads