• Yes

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 22 22.9%

Reynard

Legend
They are. They have been plugging Decent to Avernus based on BG3, and the new Phandelver Campaign. "look, Forgotten Realms! Mind Flayers!!"
Again, those aren't tie ins, they are synergistic. A tie in would actually say "Badlur's Gate 3" on the cover, and as with Honor Among thieves, WotC seems to be pointedly avoiding that. There is probably a good business reason i don't understand, but it feels like a lost opportunity.

To expound: a tie in would have been a reissue of Avernus with a new cover that says "The Prequel to the Hit CRPG Baldur's Gate 3!" or somesuch.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Again, those aren't tie ins, they are synergistic. A tie in would actually say "Badlur's Gate 3" on the cover, and as with Honor Among thieves, WotC seems to be pointedly avoiding that. There is probably a good business reason i don't understand, but it feels like a lost opportunity.

To expound: a tie in would have been a reissue of Avernus with a new cover that says "The Prequel to the Hit CRPG Baldur's Gate 3!" or somesuch.
Their concept is that "all D&D is a tie-in" which isn't what normally happens when media/video games/pop culture cross streams.

It's an attempt to have it all. There's some reasons to think that this is working as relates to Honor Among Thieves, but it's not working for BG3. There's no bump in interest in D&D the game.

Yellow is BG3. Red is D&D the movie. Blue is D&D the game.
1694272671891.png

Honor Among Thieves did a better job of creating interest in the game of D&D

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Their concept is that "all D&D is a tie-in" which isn't what normally happens when media/video games/pop culture cross streams.

It's an attempt to have it all. There's some reasons to think that this is working as relates to Honor Among Thieves, but it's not working for BG3. There's no bump in interest in D&D the game.

Yellow is BG3. Red is D&D the movie. Blue is D&D the game.
View attachment 294555
Honor Among Thieves did a better job of creating interest in the game of D&D
Yup gamers know about D&D, even if they never considered it as a thing to play before they are likely peripherally aware of it. If BG 3 prompts them to explore they likely know already how to begin and where to go and do not need Google to tell them.

Scribe

Legend
I hope the mod does a good job of showing you what their breath weapons look like. I can only imagine what they'll look like. A Force or Thunder breath weapon will probably resemble the shockwave of an explosion as it radiates outward. A Radiant breath weapon will be a sudden flash of light blasting forward. I have no idea on what a Psychic breath weapon since it would be all in my head. 😋 As for Necrotic, super bad breath? 😋
I'll try and get it all screenshot, not sure why the mod maker didn't do that.

The sonic one was good, Shockwave circles.

The sonic one was good, Shockwave circles.
I am reminded of those scenes from the first Dune movie where the characters were using those sonic weapons. With just a word, they were able to shatter rock, crush organs, etc. I could definitely see a Sapphire Dragonborn doing the same thing, but with a word in Draconic. ;)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It's already changed the name of the totem barbarian. So yes, definitely.

But it is also popularising and redefining what people think the Forgotten Realms (and by extension a typical D&D world) is like. Far more people have played BG3 than have ever read an FR sourcebook, or seen HAT...

Read a FR Sourcebook sure, absolutely.

But more than have seen HAT? Highly unlikely.

Remove ads