D&D 5E Will Baldur's Gate 3 Change D&D?

Will BG3 change Tabletop D&D?

• Yes

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 22 22.9%

How is this relevant? The games and distribution models and numbers of players are all completely different.
I'm not trying to make a relevant point beyond the fact we are talking about if a game will change the way we play another game. I was just curious since I wasn't as "plugged" in at the time these games came out.

Reynard

Legend
I'm not trying to make a relevant point beyond the fact we are talking about if a game will change the way we play another game. I was just curious since I wasn't as "plugged" in at the time these games came out.
I see. I apologize. I thought you were making a particular rhetorical argument.

As it is, I don't think there is much we can draw parallel given how different the video game industry is and how different the market position is of 5e versus 2e.

I see. I apologize. I thought you were making a particular rhetorical argument.

As it is, I don't think there is much we can draw parallel given how different the video game industry is and how different the market position is of 5e versus 2e.
No worries, I could have worded it better.

You are right. It is a vastly different landscape compared to the late 90s and early 2000s.

BG1 and 2 definitely changed the way I looked at D&D for sure. I can't speak for the greater community at that time though.

Scribe

Legend
Did BG1 & 2 (and I guess the Icewind Dale games) have any impact on 2e? I know it came out at the tail end of 2e. Did Neverwinter Nights impact 3e?

I'm not sure that NWN had an impact on 3e. Well...I guess it depends on which version of NWN? I only played the stand alone ones, with the great mod community (which is what set me up for my career actually).

BG1? Well yeah, I think BG1 (and 2) impacted the game, if not that edition of the game, by entering into the history and lore and impacting it downstream.

I mean Minsc is still a deal, and BG1 was released in 98.

Divine2021

Adventurer
second post, same thread, forgive me (for beating my same dead horse over and over again)

BG3 made dueger and gith cool again, I hope we see this reflected in WoTC dnd in the future cause otherwise that’s an incredible lost opportunity to be cool.

MGibster

Legend
It will likely become emblematic of a certain era/style of play and therefore shape the course of D&D, but I don't expect it to inherently change the game. D&D is a cultural phenomenon and therefore evolve in time. I expect BG3 to be a morphemic element, but one among many others.
It'd be really tough for what is essentially a copy to inherently change the original. I'm in agreement with you in that I don't think it's going to inherently change what D&D is, but while playing I couldn't help but wonder if this was the future of D&D gaming. You could provide a DM with the toolset to create their own adventures using the Larian's game engine and go from there. It's entirely possible such a game on a subscription model would draw in a lot of people who never would have played the table top version.

Remove ads