D&D 5E Will the upcoming UA Ranger subclasses be for the PHB or the variant Ranger class?

Li Shenron

Legend
If they are for the latest UA Ranger base class variant, they will be useless for those who still use the PHB core class.

If they are for the PHB core class, then the new UA Ranger variant will be already dead.

Sounds like a lose - lose situation for me.

The only smooth way out would be to revise th UA base Ranger itself to be more compatible with the core PHB Ranger, e.g. in terms of Extra Attack. So that all old and new Ranger subclasses can work with both versions.

What do you think?

CapnZapp

Legend
What if they do a radical departure from the norm and give us a bunch of new ranger spells?
I'd suggest the the Ranger be skipped this time around, seeing that the new conclaves need to settle in first (=be published in print) but your suggestion is better :)

Xeviat

Hero
The only difference between old hunter and hunter conclave is the extra attack at 5th level. A sidebar covers that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Li Shenron

Legend
That's very good! Basically they simply need to design subclasses which either grant Extra Attack at 5th level, or a standalone feature that a player can choose to trade with Extra Attack. IOW they just need to avoid using 5th level to grant something that is a basis for another feature later on.

I would be really surprised if the ranger shows up in the weekly UA's. If the goal was to put things out in time for feedback for the big book of crunch, then mission accomplished with the last UA ranger article. Even if the feedback was terrible negative, it would still take a while to redo the ranger again.

Remove ads