D&D 5E Will you buy the new Gift Set with Monsters of the Multiverse?

Will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 78 58.6%
  • Separate Monsters book in May

Votes: 39 29.3%
  • Digital Monsters book (DDB/FG/Roll20 etc) in May

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 6 4.5%

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I used to buy all the limited edition cover books, mostly for resale later. That worked out great with the first few, when the print runs were limited, but they're just too common now. The hobby store covers sell for just as little as the standard covers do on the secondary market, so I don't bother getting them anymore.

GreyLord

Legend
Tempted, but not sure yet. I am thinking of getting yet another set of 5e rulebooks, but not set or sure yet.

My original set has the MM and PHB getting sort of flabby, and Xanathar's could use some tape as well as maybe Volo's...soo...undecided.

Why would they even package 3 books together when one of them obsoletes the other two? Good job, WotC.
That's not what it's packaged with. It's packaged with Tashas and Xanathars.

So I guess the idea is that you can gift the Core Rulebook gift set (which already exists), and they get the three main books (PHB, DMG, MM), and then gift the Rules Expansion gift set (which is this), and they get MotM, Tashas and Xanathars, and at that point, they essentially have all the rules for everything, and they don't need the other two monster books, which will presumably stop being printed in or before 2024, and they also don't need SCAG, Eberron, etc. to get any classes or races (though IIRC there may still be subclasses specific to those - but some definitely made it to Xanathars).

Reynard

Legend
I voted No, primarily because while I might not necessarily be done with 5E at the table (I have no plans to run or play it aside from a convention event, but never say never) I am certainly done buying books for it. It's been a pretty good run but after what, 8 years?, it's flaws have overcome its positives for me.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'll probably end up getting the standalone book. I wasn't planning on it, but the shots of pages that were floating around on twitter yesterday have almost got me convinced. They have almost - but not quite - fixed the major flaws in the monster stat blocks that have prevented me from wanting to DM 5e since shortly after it was released. They're still not as usable as 4e monster stat blocks, but they're much closer.

delericho

Legend
Not the gift set - I have two of the books already. I may get MotM standalone, but not in May - if I buy the 2024 revised books I'll probably get it then. But even that's a really big 'if'.

Remove ads