• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Will you pay $50.00 for the "standard" PHB?

Will you pay $50.00 for a "standard" PHB?

• Yes.

Votes: 111 53.6%
  • No.

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 41 19.8%

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Actually this poll seems to be much more favorable for 5E than it was for 4E at the same time.

IIRC, Only 33% or so of people were buying 4E unseen while over 50% are seemingly going to buy into 5E.

Bodes well for WotC.

CM

Adventurer
I'm unlikely to be switching to 5e anytime soon (4e neo-grognard), but I'm sure I'll pick it up to check it out and mine it for ideas.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I will of course buy it (really dig what I have seen/played so far), and if for no other reason than for completion (I own pretty much all of the books/boxed sets for every edition so far) and to steal from.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
No, but passing around iPads is. Sharing the PDF file itself certainly is.

Even if they don't release a .pdf, what's the over-under for how long until someone who doesn't respect IP or product creators will scan it in and post it for all the world to download anyway? :erm:

Last edited:

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Even if they don't release a .pdf, what's the over-under for how long until someone who doesn't respect IP or product creators will scan it in and post it for all the world to download anyway?
That's their main competition in the digital market. The way they can compete with that is by making a product/service that's better than the competition (as PC gamers know, this is why Steam works so well).

They're making a good step towards this with their RPGNow marketplace. The next step is to actually make the PDFs better than simple scans (hyperlinked indexes, video enhancements, tablet-optimized versions, etc.).

Last edited:

Gundark

Explorer
No way. Competitors price is too much better and their product is just as good in its own way. Wizards is going to have to cut that price if it wants me on board. Offer a discount if I purchase all three at once or something. I'm easily looking at 240 dollars for the three books if I buy them from a local store. I could get the Pathfinder core and bestiary for only 100 dollars. That's less than half of the cost of 5th.

Even if I buy them online I'm still looking at about 180 dollars. If I buy Pathfinder online I'm looking at about 80 dollars. Still half the price of 5e.

Much like the box one this game is going down in flames based upon the primary factor of its price. Which is a real shame too since I liked this edition. Wizards needs to get with the times though. Hell I would even love a PHB + DMG book and then a Monster Manual. That's doable.
I live in Canada too. How are you figuring 240 bucks?

Gamgee

First Post
I live in Canada too. How are you figuring 240 bucks?

50 dollars per book. Canadian markup of 5 dollars per book. The store will factor in shipping in the cost of all the books. So this will add another 10 or more to each one. On top of this they need to make a profit and they add anywhere from 10-20 dollars extra. It averages out to be at least 75 dollars a book. Then you add tax and it reaches 80 dollars minimum. No :):):):)ing way. Wizards is crazy.

Remove ads