D&D 5E Will you pay $50.00 for the "standard" PHB?

Will you pay $50.00 for a "standard" PHB?

• Yes.

Votes: 111 53.6%
  • No.

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 41 19.8%

pemerton

Legend
It is WotC's prerogative to charge what they think the market will bear.

The more expensive the PHB the less likely I am to buy it, but it's by no means certain that I would buy it even if it were (say) $40 - it would probably have to be $20 or so, such that as an outlay it's effectively negligible, before I picked it up without thinking. As well as the cost I also have serious storage issues, and so am trying to limit my purchase of large RPG books that I am not likely to use.

If I were guaranteed to use it then I would buy it without a problem at $50. I am now in my 6th year of 4e gaming, and to support that game I have bought 32 hardbacks, 5 boxed sets, 6 softback rulebooks and 3 modules. Call it $30 per book on average, and that's around $1400 worth. My campaign is likely to finish this year, after 6 years at around 20 sessions per year. So that will be more than $10 per session outlay. (Even more if you consider the cost of non-4e material that I bought in the past but did not use until my 4e campaign - that's probably another $30 worth of modules at least.)

In other words, I'm prepared to pay for RPG materials for a game that I'm playing and would enjoy playing again in the future. It's just that I don't anticipate playing much, maybe any, D&Dnext.

Gamgee

First Post
I forgot to mention one thing. If the books have sizable content or going for a two book scheme like Pathfinder than I have no problem with paying 50 eventually.

Arduin's

First Post
Unless there are some major surprises in the final product (based on play test materials) I don't have a compelling reason to purchase 'Next'. So, the $50 isn't an issue. It is more a question of WHY spend the money? ...

Unless there are some major surprises in the final product (based on play test materials) I don't have a compelling reason to purchase 'Next'. So, the $50 isn't an issue. It is more a question of WHY spend the money? ...

That's pretty much where I'm coming from, too. Unless there is something truly unique and exciting about 5e (which I doubt), why buy into it? I can easily run the same types of adventures and campaigns in any other system that I already own.

Gundark

Explorer
Then I'm getting shafted incredibly bad, also this store has a no flex policy on price. So looks like I'll continue to be buying online. Unless I find something reasonably priced there. If its 50-60 a book I think I can manage that. I'm still not happy though about it. It's still very pricey by DnD standards. Still it is hypothetically doable if the game turns out to be any good. Which I feel it has a decent chance of doing. Still I would like to see a boxed package of all three cores with a 10-20 dollar discount. Come an here cut the hardcore fans a break.

I don't know where in Canada you live specifically. I think the further north you live the more jacked prices would be, but your getting shafted badly. There are two LGS in the community where I live, and where I live is considered to be Northern Canada. One store slaps a increase on the suggested retail, while the other sells at suggested retail... guess where I shop?

Looking at Amazon.ca the main Pathfinder book is listed at CDN$ 32.92 with free shipping. That's a 47% discount. Now while there may not be the same with 5e (it'll be brand new and they'll want to make a profit), it wouldn't surprise me to see a 25%-30% discount with free shipping.

Starlit citadel in Vancouver is another online retailer that I would suggest taking a look at they have pretty reasonable price structure and free shipping if you buy more than $150. Save up make a big purchase or go in with friends and you've made some big savings.

Remove ads