• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Will you pay $50.00 for the "standard" PHB?

Will you pay $50.00 for a "standard" PHB?

• Yes.

Votes: 111 53.6%
  • No.

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 41 19.8%

Agamon

Adventurer
Huh. I live in Canada, and I don't have this experience, at either of the FLGSs I frequent or on Amazon. OOP products are both hard to find and ridiculously expensive on Amazon, thanks to resellers and their dumb price bots, but if it's a current book, I have no problems. Any store that marks up a book 50% from MSRP is a criminal.

adamc

First Post
We're still working on a 4e campaign. If history is any guide, I'll be able to buy the book(s) used at substantial discounts long before I might actually need them (if ever).

fjw70

Adventurer
[MAP][/MAP]
That's cool, I just wonder how much the psychology of knowing the book will actually be around 30 something as opposed to 50 is affecting the answer... in other words, I think (and I could be wrong) it's easy to say you would pay more for something when you know for a fact you won't have to. There's no way to actually test it but I was mussing on it when I wrote my response.

It could be affecting the responses. I guess we would see if WOTC put the list price at $70 and Amazon sold them for $50 (imagine the rage at that :) ).

Gamgee

First Post
I assure you, WOTC is just as "mainstream" to Amazon Canada as Pathfinder.

Well we'll have to see. 4th is currently cheaper than Pathfinder, but no one plays it. 3.5 is more pricey than it (cheaper than Pathfinder). Hahaha. It's all up to Wizards now to see if their product is still popular enough here to keep prices competitive.

Last edited:

Gundark

Explorer
I think your assumptions are off base. Amazon Canada lists the Pathfinder Core Book at 32.92. That's discounted from 62.50. It's also with free shipping. That's a good example of how it does not work the way you think it works.

Agreed. The D&D books are going to be sold at a significant discount as well with free shipping. Admittedly I also get frustrated with Canadian pricing on magazines and books.

But...there is no way that the D&D books are going to be sold for $70 bucks a pop unless there is some serious mark-up going on.

I pay the suggested retail or I shop else where, I'm pretty vocal at my two LGS about that.

Gamgee

First Post
Then I'm getting shafted incredibly bad, also this store has a no flex policy on price. So looks like I'll continue to be buying online. Unless I find something reasonably priced there. If its 50-60 a book I think I can manage that. I'm still not happy though about it. It's still very pricey by DnD standards. Still it is hypothetically doable if the game turns out to be any good. Which I feel it has a decent chance of doing. Still I would like to see a boxed package of all three cores with a 10-20 dollar discount. Come aaan here cut the hardcore fans a break.

Zardnaar

Legend
Books in New Zealand here are stupidly expensive. To get free shipping from Amazon you need to spend $125 so I bought 5 Castles and Crusades books, Numenra, Basic Fantasy and a Star Wars novel for cheap. Without free shipping it is to expensive and locally the PFRPG is over $80 USD ($100 nzd LAST i SAW IT).

Shemeska

Adventurer
I think $50 is rather high, but it depends on several things:

The Pathfinder core rulebook is 49.99 cover price, but it's also thick enough to probably stop a bullet, and the content is heavy as isn't fluffed up with blank space and larger font size. It combines PHB and DMG into a single volume, so in terms of value for the price, it's at a really good spot.

If the 5e book is going to be $50 it has to both have that level of content as the Pathfinder core book, and have the production values that the Pathfinder core book does to make me consider buying it. At the same time, I'm not sure honestly that I'll buy the 5e book since I don't have the time to learn a new system, nor time to play or run anything else. Pathfinder is eating my creative time and energy, happily so, though at some point there may be another oWoD game by one of my players. There's just not enough reason at this point for me to pay $50 for a book I probably won't use.

Unless WotC makes a 5e Planescape (that is faithful to the original content and cosmology). Then I'll buy it and devour the content like a junkie for their next hit. Oh to be able to work on that setting. :)

Remove ads