D&D 3E/3.5 Will you still play 3.5?

Mamacat

First Post
I'm going to post a reply to this, even though I myself am not switching. My husband has decided to buy the 4E core books, and to keep buying Eberron. However, he hates what they did to FR, and wants to use my 3.5 books for that. So, it looks like we'll be running mixed games, sort of what we did with our WW stuff awhile back - he'll use the new rules, but old setting, and I'll be using 3.5 all the way.

because 4e is not out yet?!

ok, i just started an ADnD 2nd edition game 3 days ago... but if i get my 3rd edition group together as a whole, i will try finishing my campaign...

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I've already started selling off my 3.0 and 3.5 stuff except for what I'm using in my current campaign.

Good time to sell - most people don't seem to know that 4e has been announced yet. I've already made more than enough to buy the new core books and first 3 adventures. Yay.

I'm really just looking forward to the sweet agony of puzzling through a new set of rules.

shadowguidex

First Post
Switching to 4E on day one with brand new level one characters - The current adventure I'm running is slated to last only 7 more game sessions and I have the ending ready to go.

I learned my lessen after buying about 12 3.5E books - Extra "source" books never make the games any better. I'll buy the three core books and the FRCS, then any PHBX or MMX that are released, but I will never buy any other books. I don't think I have ever even looked inside my Underdark book, or my Serpent Kingdoms book, or my Unearthed Arcanna, and since my game group hates prestige classes, we hardly ever open any class source books.

Going back to the basics. PHB, MM, DMG, Campaign Setting. Thats it. My old 3.5 books will sit on the bookshelf with all my old 1E, 2E, and 3E books.

Odysseus

Explorer
Even though my group is keen to start a 4E game. They also want to a lower magic campaign and a conan campaign. Both of which will probably be 3.5 , possible with some 4E house rules.

What to do?

I personally am in a bind because, as the only person in my 8th to 9th grade group who does anything for DnD outside of getting together every week or two, I am the only person who has read enough to be converted to the mindset of those prepared to switch. Of course, I am also probably the person most likely to be willing to pay for new books, because I only have five of the books, compared to some of my friends, who have more. I came to post here first, because I am looking for advice on how to convert my friends, and second, to find out where you managed to sell your 3.x books for almost full price. I am at the point where I have five books in good condition, but would like to sell at least some of them first to help pay for 4E, and second to help my friends convert.

Graf

Explorer
Probably not.
I'll keep use my old books for flavor.

But 3.5 was taking so much prep time long I'd basically stopped DMing it years ago.
And it's tricky to play online.

Gorrstagg

First Post
I've run a 4E session tonight, using the information gathered here on ENworld and from about the net. We used the Level 1 characters from Experience on the elven Rogue from these boards.

The kicker for my players is that what happens in this play session with these characters happens in my campaign world we'll be playing in on June with the release of 4E.

And they were all happy and looking forward to it.

I'll put up my review of the experience later.

To answer the question. No. 3.5 will go away, and that's fine with me. I got burned out last summer, and we took a break from it in general and started playing other games, from Mutants & Masterminds to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition. (Even flirted with ShadowRun 4th Edition, but that system just hates itself and tries to commit suicide with unnecessary complications.)

And while playing, those other games, I realized that I had hit a saturation point with 3.5. It was no longer fun for me to run as a DM. All the extra work as a DM, was being spent on the mechanical aspects of opponents. And what not. Which then caused me to pick up a module against some hobgob's and tiamat avatars.. which is really interesting, and will be fun to convert to 4E.

But 3.5 it's going to the shelf and there it will stay. Though some materials/items such as the Ptolus campaign setting will be adapted to my world, and adapted for 4E.

But, the curve in the game with save or die mechanics aggravated me, and it was too prevalent in 3.5 still.

So, it's gone and my time off from 3.5 and D&D in general is just fine, I'm rejuvinated in ways that I didn't realize I had been drained off completely.

For me, AD&D 2nd Edition was fun, but when 3rd edition came along, I jumped right on it and learned, and was a little pissed with 3.5 coming along, but the whole 3rd/3.5 editions were good for their time. But 4E has come at the right time for me. Though I still think it was 2 years too early, with the money sink known as 3.5. Seriously.

But our group will adapt and as far as the books coming along, I'll get the core stuff, the FRCS, and other books that expand on options for characters ala Martial Power. And other such books. Beyond that, I'll weigh each book on its merits and take it or leave it as necessary.

Remove ads