D&D 3E/3.5 Will you still play 3.5?

DeusExMachina

First Post
I'll run a 4e campaign this summer and that will probably decide whether we go for 4e completely or not. One of our DM's seems totally in love with high level 3.x play (to the dismay of some of the players), so he might not want to switch too soon, but I'm sure the others will be more open...

Everybody having to buy new books might be a bit of a problem, since we all forked out a lot for 3.x and most of us are not exactly well paid, but that just means we'll have to share starting out...

Midknightsun

Explorer
Play 3.5? Maybe, though I'm pretty burned out on it as both a player and DM. My plan as of this point is to switch to 4e and never look back. As far as getting rid of me 3.5 books, are you on crack? I still have my 1e books. Of course, I'm a bit of a packrat. . .

Jhaelen

First Post
_IF_ I start playing 4E and like it I'll probably be no longer interested in playing 3E. At least that's how it was when I switched to 3E.
However, if one of my players decided he'd like to start a 3.5 campaign, I'd gladly join.

Animus

Explorer
One group I'm in isn't even playin 3.5 right now, so I seriously doubt we'll be returning to it. I imagine that if we want a 3.5-type game we'll stick with Iron Heroes or something else. The other group I'm in I'm certain will be staying with 3.5 through the end of our Eberron campaign. After that, it depends on the players.

Stormtower

First Post
I'll be happily DM'ing both editions in different venues:

3.5E for my home games (Gaia's Dream, World of Aereth, Pathfinder/Golarion).

4E for the RPGA in Living Forgotten Realms.

As for playing, I will play whatever edition my favorite DMs are willing to run!

FourthBear

First Post
I'll be playing 3.5e at least for the next year or so. I very much like what I've seen of 4e and the design work, but I've got too much 3.5e adventure material to get through before I'm through with it. At the very least, I want to play through the Age of Worms adventure path and possibly Savage Tide. I will note that the higher level adventures I've been DMing lately have definitely started to annoy me. Normally campaigns didn't last much past 12th level, so the Adventure Paths are definitely confirming my old suspicions of 3e in actual play.

I have no plans to sell any of my 3e or 3.5e books. I still have all of my D&D, 1e and 2e AD&D books as well, although I rarely use them. All of them can make for some useful inspirational material. I have some small hope that 4e makes generating monster, NPC and trap stats easy enough that I would be willing to rework previous edition material for 4e. I felt it was too much work to do so for mid-to-high level 3e adventures.

Also, my group is overall suspicious and reluctant of 4e. On specific points they agree with some of 4e's design changes, but with the same reluctance to change to a new edition that they had during the 3e edition roll out. Of course, they DM far less overall and never DM higher level campaigns.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Piratecat said:
and ending my old one

Veering off-topic, but I'd love to hear how the old campaign ends, since it seems to have encompassed multiple campaign-ending capstone scenarios and then goes on for more! The only thing I've not seen is :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

edit: who would have thought that the spam filter would catch that? Crafty!

Cheers

Last edited:

I can forsee some circumstances where I'd want to use the 3E rule set rather than the 4E one... If those circumstances ever come to a real live game, I'll certainly play it using the rule I feel will fit the flavor most easily.

Later
silver

I’ll always play in a game one of my friends are running, regardless of setting, ruleset or edition. I’m not running one right now, but I have plans in the works for a campaign that I would prefer to run in 3.5e (I have a few issues with the 4e preview rules that I don’t think will mesh well with the campaign.)

My d20 modern campaigns that I’m currently running, well I’m running one with another guy so I bet we’ll have a conversion talk about that one, but for the other d20 modern game I’m running I’m not going to convert that one.

Remove ads