Willow - Official Teaser Trailer

deganawida

Adventurer
I've always been a little bummed that not much ever came of Willow beyond the original movie, so this tickles my warmfuzzies. Nice to see it's a sequel. Not entirely sure what to expect, tbh, but I'm looking forward to it.
There was a novel in the 90s. I think it was by Chris Claremont (of X-Men fame) and Lucas (well, listed as coauthor). I didn't read it.

deganawida

Adventurer
Yes, Claremont wrote a trilogy of fantasy novels that are a sequel to the film, Chronicles of the Shadow War. They were awful, and I really, really hope this series doesn't reference them.
I had a feeling that the one I saw would be awful, which is why I skipped. I enjoyed his work on X-Men, but read one of his novels and thought it was terrible. Guess I made the right call!

The 90s were a fairly barren time for fantasy films, for a variety of reasons. The 80s were a boom time for fantasy cinema, and in the more po-faced 90s lots of people were eager to turn their backs on the cultural trends of the prior decade.

Perhaps it's best that Willow didn't get a sequel until now. I can't help but imagine what could've been with the dodgy CGI that was everywhere back in the 90s.

I've always been a little bummed that not much ever came of Willow beyond the original movie, so this tickles my warmfuzzies.

The trailer looks pretty cool. I have vivid memories of seeing Willow in the theater, and will be glad to see the sequel finally.

Last edited:

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Yes, Claremont wrote a trilogy of fantasy novels that are a sequel to the film, Chronicles of the Shadow War. They were awful, and I really, really hope this series doesn't reference them.
I was given the first novel as a gift when it first came out... and I was unable to finish it. I loved the original film, but was so disappointed by that book that I gave it away and never read the rest of the trilogy.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Willow was my sick day movie as a kid. When I was home sick from school I'd always wind up watching it.

Recently I researched it as part of a series of "weird movie nights" I have with friends.

And you know what? It's a really fun movie! I love the creativity, and how it's not afraid to get weird. The whole troll / dragon fight is wonderful, the magic is unhinged ("You're all pigs!"), and the characters are wonderfully charismatic.

I'm looking forward to the series!

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Willow was my sick day movie as a kid. When I was home sick from school I'd always wind up watching it.

Recently I researched it as part of a series of "weird movie nights" I have with friends.

And you know what? It's a really fun movie! I love the creativity, and how it's not afraid to get weird. The whole troll / dragon fight is wonderful, the magic is unhinged ("You're all pigs!"), and the characters are wonderfully charismatic.

I'm looking forward to the series!
It was certainly inspirational in all sorts of ways. I think I've put a cache of acorns of petrification in most every campaign I've run since I saw the movie.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4