Willow - Official Teaser Trailer

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Yes, the horrible person, who's done horrible things like ...

Um.

... what bad thing has he done, as this character, to deserve that again?
Cuz clearly he's evil. He has evil facial hair. He understands an evil language, and he's wearing my grandmother's drapes. He's either evil, or a bard, or an evil bard. All reasons to dead him. And he played Flash Thompson. I hated his version of Flash Thompson. This character is Flash Thompson in curtains.

Hussar

Legend
I watched it, I enjoyed it, I'll probably keep watching.

I don't know how I managed to avoid it, but, I've only seen Willow once, like way, way back when and I remember nothing about it. Watching this, all I could think was, "Wow, just how many fantasy cliches can they cram into one episode?" Sure, the cinematography is gorgeous and the acting is pretty good. but, wow, this is just hitting all the old standbys.

And, one other thing that bugged me was half the show is so dark I can barely make out anything that's going on. The whole fight in the fog thing was basically just colored smears on the screen. Characters I don't know anything about, fighting monsters in the dark. Not exactly compelling to me.

I'm normally a pretty big booster for shows like this, and, like I said, I enjoyed it enough that I'll probably watch it - but, it's a bit of a let down after Andor to be honest.

Then again, I have to be fair. The first couple of episodes of Andor didn't exactly wow me either, so, I'll keep an open mind. Maybe watch the movie again and that might help.

MarkB

Legend
I watched it, I enjoyed it, I'll probably keep watching.

I don't know how I managed to avoid it, but, I've only seen Willow once, like way, way back when and I remember nothing about it.
I rewatched it just prior to watching the series. Some parts don't stand up so well, including a lot of the performances, but a lot is still impressive - the way the brownies are integrated into scenes is very well done considering how old the movie is, and never really feels jarring, and the wall-crawling trolls still stand up very well and are suitably creepy.
Watching this, all I could think was, "Wow, just how many fantasy cliches can they cram into one episode?" Sure, the cinematography is gorgeous and the acting is pretty good. but, wow, this is just hitting all the old standbys.
Mostly that was positive for me, it felt like classic adventure stuff, with just enough subversions to keep it feeling modern.
And, one other thing that bugged me was half the show is so dark I can barely make out anything that's going on. The whole fight in the fog thing was basically just colored smears on the screen. Characters I don't know anything about, fighting monsters in the dark. Not exactly compelling to me.
That I definitely agree on - as the scene was playing out, my immediate thought was how terrible an idea it was to have introduced all these characters and then make it hard to follow who was doing what in the first major action set-piece.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I just learned that the actress playing Willow's daughter is his real daughter, Annabelle. I hope we see more of her. I liked her.

And, one other thing that bugged me was half the show is so dark I can barely make out anything that's going on.
It was meant to be confusing. The characters involved did not know the target of the raid and did not at first know who had been taken. We only have Prince Bard's account of what happened, and he might be lying through his evil moustache*.

*Or it might be another fake-out.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
It was meant to be confusing. The characters involved did not know the target of the raid and did not at first know who had been taken. We only have Prince Bard's account of what happened, and he might be lying through his evil moustache*.

*Or it might be another fake-out.
I'm not alone in thinking he's an evil bard. 🕺💃🕺💃

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases