• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

2E Will's AD&D 2nd Edition - Who knows where it will go!

William Smith1

Villager
Shortly after Dorana asks about the trail rations, Blossom arrives with 4 packages. She says, "Here you go dearies, a package of rations for each of you, based on your sizes I think these will last you two weeks, a bit longer if any of you can hunt and bag some game on the way." Weleand says, "Thank you Blossom. As far as water, you can fill your skins here with fresh water. Plenty of creeks and streams along the way so water should not be a problem. Oh Blossom, how about a small keg of Blast for their journey? Aego, the only Kobold lair I know of in the area is in Bobby's place. And no, there aren't any wizard towers around either. Why do you ask? And you can spend the night here, Jagyuk has a reasonably comfortable common room downstairs."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"No reason," says Aego, a little too quickly. Then, realizing this, he adds, "If there were any other wizards there, I could be asking them for spells I could learn from them. But the point is moot, I guess."

The elf then sits back and enjoys the rest of his drink, observing the others.
 

Greenmtn

Explorer
Clalick makes small talk. Getting to know those in the room as much as he can before it is time to retire for the night.
"So I suppose we should see that sketch of what you remember of our friends house. Maybe seeing that will help us decide how to deal with these vermin."
 

William Smith1

Villager
Weleand snaps his fingers....

... and with a puff of blue smoke, the scent of blueberries and a few sparks a small piece of paper appears in his hand.

Weleand says, "Of course, how could I forget! Here you go, not much to look at, I'm not much of a mapper. Really did not get to see much of Bobby's place though he was very secretive. But you have the entrance and exit and something to start with. If he is truly dead and the Kobolds have taken over his place I think you should explore the entire complex and clean it out. But beware, Bobby had a devious mind and protected his lair with many traps and tricks both magical and mundane. However, the Kobolds may have tripped many of them but don't count on it. Be careful and cautious. Oh and Aego, upon your successful return I will be happy to teach you a few spells."

At this final statement, Weleand waves his arms above his head muttering a few words you do not understand and disappears in a cloud of purple smoke and the scent of jasmine.
 

Attachments

William Smith1

Villager
Blossom enters the room, "Well, there he goes again, always one with a dramatic entrance and exit, eh? So you all stayin here at the 'Rin tonight? I would recommend it. It's dark now and you know what goes with darkness...evil people who only care about themselves. Weleand has paid for your stay tonight and it is safe here. Get a good rest dearies and we will send you off with a hearty breakfast before you embark on your quest!"
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
Dorana downs her current ale. "We should get to bed so we can leave at first light. After a hearty breakfast, of course." She turns to Blossom, "A room with a bed sounds great. Lead the way, if you would." She turns back to her newfound companions and says, "Goodnight," before leaving the room.
 

Greenmtn

Explorer
Clalick rolls up the map and sticks it in a pocket after studying it for a moment.

"Agreed. So we will all meet here in the morning for a meal before we go?" He says looking around at the group.

"I would also like a room for the evening."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"G'night," Aego says to Dorana and Blossom, perhaps slightly louder than would be appropriate. Then the elf yawns and stretches theatrically, and looks at the others.

"Anyone up for another beer before bed?"
 

William Smith1

Villager
Blossom leads you all to the stairs at the rear of the main room, as you descend you notice that the bar is empty, the Gnolls, the half-Orcs, and the other private room's curtains are now open and the room is empty. You notice that the half-Elf who was sitting at the end of the bar is leaving through the front door. Once downstairs, you see a common room as large as the upper floor. 20 beds line the walls, each with a small chest at it's foot. 10 of the rooms have curtains that can be pulled around the bed for privacy. 9 of the beds are occupied and you can hear snoring and some talking in their sleep. The sleepers seem to be humans, half-orcs, and half-elves. Blossom assigns each of you a bed with curtains. She says, "G'night dearies, sleep well and we will have a hearty breakfast for you in the morning! Weleand has left your up front payment with Jagyuk who has it in his strongbox. You can take it in the morning or leave it with Jagyuk for safekeeping, your choice." She leaves with a cheery "see you in the morning!"
 

William Smith1

Villager
OOC - Each of you needs to roll vs your Constitution to see how well you slept (roll d20 and see if it is under your Constitution, subtract 2 from your die roll if you had Balrog Blast). [How do we do rolls in this venue?]
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: So it is easier to roll under Con (presumably succeeding) if you had the blast?


[roll0] vs 17 Con.

OOC: To roll dice you type [ roll] (without the space) [ roll]1d20+3[/roll] for example (again with an extra space so it doesn't actually roll)
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: Con save Aego: [roll0]. His Con score is 10.

So it is easier to roll under Con (presumably succeeding) if you had the blast?
Aego's also had a Balrog Blaster or two, and I'm curious about this as well. :) Edit: Not that it matters when rolling a natural 1. :D
 

Greenmtn

Explorer
OOC: Clalick had a couple of them. Con [roll0](+1 because his Con score is 12? it's been so long since I played this edition.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: Clalick had a couple of them. Con [roll0](+1 because his Con score is 12? it's been so long since I played this edition.
OOC: No, your target number is 12. You roll under that value. We're confused by why the die roll would be -2 for drinking the hefty drink. I assume he meant the die roll is -2.
 

William Smith1

Villager
OOC - Yes it is minus 2 to the die roll so it is easier to make the roll vs Constitution in this case. Your target number is your attribute and you adjust the die roll based on circumstances. A lot of stuff is backwards from what you would expect in 2nd Edition! So net result is it is easier to get a good night's sleep in the common room (other sleepers noisy with snores and talking in sleep) if you drank some Blast.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: Because it was Constitution, I thought it was an alcohol save. I might have used Wisdom to get a good night sleep. But not a big deal.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aego sleeps like a baby.

To be fair, when awake he sometimes acts like one, too.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: So the scary sounding drink was actually the low alcohol option.


Dorana awakes in the morning and get ready to travel. She heads down to the common room looking for breakfast.
 

William Smith1

Villager
You all recall (somewhat) someone talking in their sleep. Sounded like a nightmare. The only fragment you remember is something about "The Hill Magician". Other than that you awake refreshed and clear headed. Seems the Balrog Blast was all bark and no bite. In Weleand's private room is a breakfast buffet of eggs, some kind of sausage, and assorted fruits, some of which you do not recognize. Blossom is there and says, "Hope you all slept well, Weleand asked that we send you off with a hearty breakfast. By the way, some of the fruits are from a place far away called Arborea. Weleand brought them back from one of his trips. The pink ones are the best in my opinion. What do you all want to do with your advances? You are welcome to take them with you or Jagyuk can keep them safe for you here at the 'Rin. Up to you. Oh, and I have something here Weleand calls 'Orange Juice', pretty nice but a bit sour if you ask me. I do like it with some white spirits though."
 

Advertisement

Top