Will's AD&D 2nd Edition - Who knows where it will go!

I always assume camping lasts 10-12 hours to make up for people needing 8 hours sleep and taking a watch, besides. Dorana will wake Clalick up when her watch ends. (We should have figured out watch order before bedding down. although we didn't really bed down so much as Jhary saying we did.)

William Smith1

Explorer
Surprisingly, even though the group prepared for an attack, the night passes uneventfully. In the morning Luis is rebuilding the fire from the embers and asks, "Does anyone have anything we can cook for breakfast? I sure would rather not do this contest on an empty stomach, what say you hobbit?"

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aego opens one eye, then the other as he sits crosslegged near the campfire. He smiles as Luis appears reluctant to start the contests, the wizard growing more confident that Jhary will win the competition.

"Perhaps we should skip the otherworldly steaks," he jokes. "No rabbit hunting contest then? Your call."

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Jhary yawned as he woke, stretching lazily, his tunic coming up and showing his hobbit-sized pot-belly. The little white mouse was already awake, observing the group from the tangled mess of Jhary's hair.

Without turning, Jhary patted said belly, which gurgled audibly. He nodded in agreement, though, mumbling: "Oh no! Breakfast first... Since you mention it..."

The halfling attempted to reshape his crumpled hat, plunking it down over mats of curly hair. The little white mouse scrambled away, narrowly avoiding being crushed, scampering onto Jhary's shoulder.

As he looked around at campfire and crew, Jhary absently plucked at his miniature zither again. He hummed a tune, familiar yet definitely not easily placed, chuckling to himself. He sang quietly: "Yo ho TOW-ah! Yo ho TOW-ah! Kill da wabbit...Kill da wabbit...Kill DA WABBIT!" He got louder at the end with emphasis.

Jhary couldn't place where he'd hard the song before. He had a vague memory from a land far, far away from the Citystate of the Invincible Overlord.

And then just like it came, the melody wafted away on the wind.

Jhary stood up, little mouse still sniffing about on his shoulder.

"Well... I'm no good at hunting wabbits...err...rabbits. No sirs and lady. Cooking one up though... I can make a mean stew! And if we do insist on this contest business, perhaps we could get out of this wilderness and nearer to our group-goal? I for one feel like Luis's skills could be useful IN ADDITION to my own..."

The halfling patted his grumbling belly again.

JharyOConnah

Explorer
Without waiting for a reply, as if in answer to the group's stomaches, Jhary went into action. He stoked up there fire, digging in his rucksack for a tiny pan, some field rations, a crust of bread, and, remarkably, a small jar of preserves and two large-sized eggs.

After huffing and puffing, stirring and sizzling for a few minutes the hobbit pulled the pan off the fire with an "Ow! Hot!" dropping the concoction on a nearby stump.

He commenced to pile most of it into a wooden bowl he procured from his backpack, nibbling at it with a spoon.

After another moment, self-consciously Jhary peeked over his shoulder at Clalick, Dorana, Aego, and ragged Luis.

With a mouthful he mumbled "There's some breakfast here...if'n you're hungry..."

He tried to smile without opening his mouth to be polite.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aego opens his eyes, not yet moving from the place where he spent the night crosslegged in trance.

"Smells good," the elf admits. "What's in it? No rabbits, I get that, but any other meat? I'm starving."

With that, the wizard gets up and holds his nose over the stew, sniffing with some delight.

"Looks like Jhary's taking the lead," he says, aiming his remark at Luis while helping himself to a portion of food.

JharyOConnah

Explorer
"Hmm.."

Jhary sniffed at his dwindling pile of breakfast, taking another toasted chunk of bread with jam from the pan. The little white mouse scurried down his arm, also sniffing at said breakfast.

"Well it's got SOME kinda meat in it...salted and dried and not TOO recognizable, now that you mention it..."

The hobbit kept looking and poking at a bit before taking another bite. The mouse helped himself to a sample as well.

"Not a strange steak though! Sure it came from somewhere here abouts!"

He prodded a bit more, eyes widening.

"I'm fairly certain!"

JharyOConnah

Explorer
After breakfast, Jhary collected his things, scraping every tiny last bit of food off the little pan with his spoon. The white mouse helped, nibbling another chunk here and there.

Once his pack was packed, Jhary looked to the others with eager eyes, refusing to say another word about that "contest" they all mentioned.

"Ready Luis? Everyone? Almost there, I think!"

The hobbit grinned and the little mouse squeaked as they started down the road.

Remove ads