log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Axel

First Post
Kynee folded her arms and stood by the door. This spirit is dangerous, but I don't know how to banish it without killing Odvara...

"No, never a ghost," Kynee replied to the first question, unsure if the spirit got one question that they all answered before answering one of the group's. Odvara's body seemed to solve the issue though - its second question seemed clearly directed at Elora. Kynee waited. She would say as little as possible to get through the night...
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Queenie

Queen of Everything
After a long pause, Odvara turns her gaze back to Elora. "My question: what is your earliest memory?"

Elora momentarily looks surprised at the question, as if she hadn't considered it before. Even though she already knew the answer, she was never prepared to recall this memory.

She uncomfortably takes a sip of the wine before her. "Well, I'm not really sure it's a memory or a dream I made up but I... I think it was real. Two humans, dressed finely, fussing over me. The man wound up a delicate gold box while the woman played with my hair. Then the melodious tinkle of small chimes filled the carriage we were riding in and the woman held me tightly in her arms as she smiled. They both smiled yet the looked sad. If I really think hard, I feel like I can hear their voices over the music but then they are gone." Elora quickly takes another sip of her wine then sighs. "There is something about the people, I can't put my finger on it. It makes me feel warm and loved yet so terribly sad at the same time. I tell myself it must be a dream. However..." The young white haired woman takes a look at the group, all strangers save one, yet here she is pulling out her most treasured possession.

It is a very finely made golden music box. She places it on the table and pushes it towards Odvara / the Lady of the Lake.
 

Quickleaf

Legend
There is no wind with the door closed, but the candles flicker all the same when Elora places the music box on the pinewood table. Odvara's brows arch upward in fascination, licking her lips as if anticipation a succulent roast. For a moment, she stretches her fingers out to caress the music box tinkling with a pleasant yet plaintive melody, yet she stops short of actually touching it, simply stroking the object's aura. "What a precious thing. Yes. Yes, you must treasure it. The ghosts of memory can be as powerful as any haunting specter." Sighing wistfully, Odvara emanates a palpable aura of yearning and regret apparent to the druid and sorceresses. "Now, one of you may ask a question. Ask if it pleases you."
 


Quickleaf

Legend
The spirit possessing Odvara feathers her fingers over the music box, "Ghost? Spirit? Berwyn once, though those memories grow more elusive which each winter...elusive like this one." She nods to the music box. "I do not rightly know. To most I am simply the lady of the lake, and that is enough."

She cocks her head to look at Kynee from the corner of her white eyes. "I know you by your silver sword, witcher. My question: what was your first encounter with a monster like?"

Again, the sorceresses can sense magic flowing thru the spirit's words when she asks the question.
 

Axel

First Post
Kynee smiled wryly, finally understanding how this game would work. "Fine," she replied, unfolding her arms and stretching them out in front.

"It was nothing glorious. Just centipedes. Big ones. They bleed, so they can be killed. In truth, a confusing blur of body parts and metal. Training is useful and needed, but does not provide complete preparation."

Her question answered, Kynee maintained contact with Odvara (for lack of a name for the thing), as if daring it to try for another.
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Ethian, being used to various spirits roaming the land, was tending the food and the fire, almost aloof. Looking at the possessed source, he thought to himself: I wonder where this will lead, as he was stroking Grey, his owl familiar, on the neck.

[sblock=quickleaf]
Ethian will periodically telepathically ask Valerian if he sees anything noteworthy outside the hut. The fey spirit shaped as an elk steed is not attached, and is free to roam the surroundings within the 1 mile telepathic limit.
[/sblock]
 

Shayuri

First Post
"My turn," Talashia asked abruptly. She'd heard, and felt, enough. "These questions and answers...you're doing something with them. What?"
 

Quickleaf

Legend
Stroking her finger around the rim of the earthenware cup holding wine, the spirit in Odvara scrunches up her eyebrows. Talashia's question appears to have stumped her. A smile begins to form on her lips, but what would surely have been an attempt at deflecting the question becomes a haunted answer. "It does get lonely at the bottom of the lake. The answers, they give me company, something to remember fondly on lonesome nights..." Like Talashia, the spirit seems to realize there is more to it than just that, but she also seems to lack an understanding of how the magic works. Unless, of course, this were all an act, some twisted attempt to get them to lower their guard.

Lifting the cup, Odvara holds it while crossing her arms and nodding to Talashia. "Then it is my turn to ask. My question for you: Have you ever harmed another thru no malice but by accident?"

OOC: Anyone can make a DC 18 Wisdom (Insight) check to try to figure out something about this spirit based on what you've heard of her questions & answers so far.

However, fail by 5+ (that is, achieve DC 13 or less) and there could be a bad consequence related to the magic lacing her words.
 

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia narrows her eyes. "Yes," she replies, but doesn't share more than that. Answering the question, without giving the spirit what it craves. Fulfilling the letter, but not the spirit, so to speak, of the compact.

"Excuse me for a moment. I'm going to take a pause to enjoy the night air outside."

She looks around at the others. "The rest of you may wish to come and join me when you have a chance. Perhaps not all at once, since our guest here must have her diversion. But one or a few at a time."

With a curt nod, the sorceress steps outside of the hut.

Had the others noticed? She wasn't sure. Elora might have the senses, but the girl was too open. Too eager to share. Even if it was sharing her arm with the tiger meaning to chew it off.

You'll not have MY memories to keep you company in that lake, ghost.

(OOC - I have a theory I'm gonna just run with, and waive the insight roll if that's okay. :))
 


Axel

First Post
Kynee moves aside to let Talashia pass. She gazes after the woman curiously. There was plenty of cold air these past days... She even complained of it last night!

She turned back to the possessed Odvara, wondering...

[sblock=ooc and roll]
Because I'm a troll who loves the first roll of a campaign...
Insight: 1d20+5 25

And WHAT a roll! :D
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Skarsgard

Explorer
Darius felt like a child again, the current situation reminded him of being at the adult table, trying to understand what the grown-ups were talking about. Looking between the magic users he couldn't help but feel there was a level of conversation he was missing here.

When Talashia spoke he hoped he would get a chance to understand what was going on. From her demeanour he knew there was something either unsettling or upsetting her.

Darius stands and with a puzzled frown heads outside.
 

Quickleaf

Legend
Kynee recognizes that the spirit's questions have been about more than meets the eye. A question about ghosts because the spirit may herself be a ghost. A question about monsters because the spirit wonders if she is monstrous. A question about memories because the spirit can only barely recall her own memories. Each question has really been a reflection of the spirit's own state of mind. And thus it stands to reason that the question poised to Talashia - "have you ever harmed someone by accident?" - was also a reflection of one of the spirit's woes.

Meanwhile Odvara simply smiles at those getting some fresh air and passes her empty cup to Fergus to be refilled. "Tell me flaxen-haired one, you have not asked a question yet, so let me poise one to you: What would you die for? Surely there is some cause that drives you?"
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Talashia narrows her eyes.
She looks around at the others. "The rest of you may wish to come and join me when you have a chance. Perhaps not all at once, since our guest here must have her diversion. But one or a few at a time."

With a curt nod, the sorceress steps outside of the hut.


Where are you taking us, spirit? Ethian thinks to himself.

Looking at Odvara, Ethian clears his throat. With the decorum hinting at his high-born heritage, he says "Forgive me my lady, but I have been tending this fire for some time now, and the fresh air would soothe my throat." He curtly nods, and walks outside to meet with Talashia.

"What do you make of this Talashia?" He asks the sorceress
 

Shayuri

First Post
"She's doing something," Talashia mutters darkly. "Every time a question is asked and answered, there's a little flare of magic. She may be telling the truth when she claims not to know what...but regardless, it's happening. She may be...feeding on it somehow."

The sorceress looks at Ethian impatiently; her inner turmoil finding an external target.

"There's power in acts of consent. Giving and taking. It's a kind of sacrifice. It may be harmless, I suppose. It's just that there's very little that happens with magic that doesn't carry a price of some kind. And without knowing what it is, there's no way to tell if it's one we're going to be happy paying."

She sighed...her little rant letting her relax again momentarily. "But since she has Odvara, and none of us have the means to expel her, we're better off not angering her. Just...give her as little as you can. We can minimize the damage, perhaps."
 

Fenris

Adventurer
Meanwhile Odvara simply smiles at those getting some fresh air and passes her empty cup to Fergus to be refilled. "Tell me flaxen-haired one, you have not asked a question yet, so let me poise one to you: What would you die for? Surely there is some cause that drives you?"

Fergus gets up and refills the cup in silence. He sits down again before speaking. "I am as you no doubt have observed also a witcher. Therefore what drives me and I would die for is what every witcher is mutated to do. Remove the land of monsters."
 

Quickleaf

Legend
Odvara gracefully tips her cup to him, running her fingers along her lips flirtatiously. "Ah, but what is a monster? No doubt you witchers have some black and white answer." The candles flicker with no discernible wind causing them to do so.
 

Axel

First Post
Kynee smiled, like a cat that cornered a mouse. "Is that a question out of turn?" she asked rhetorically with mock indignation. "I shall answer, but then you will owe use two answers."

Pausing for breath, she continued. "There is no black and white answer. Some humans are far worse. In visage and deed. So are some individuals of the elder races. Yet all hags are monstrous. There is the key to your answer."

Gazing directly at Odvara's body, and presumably whatever animated it, Kynee continued. "My turn then. Who have you harmed in life? Mortal and..." she gestured, lost for a word. "Otherwise," she concluded, lamely.
 

Quickleaf

Legend
Scrunching her eyebrows together, the spirit in Odvara bides her tongue, a look of quiet frustration at being caught at her own game by Kynee. "Harmed? Father, I suppose. He always wanted me to marry the alderman's son for some political reason, but I thought him too low-born. Was I mistaken? Hmm." She pauses, recalling others she had done harm to. "There was that one priest of the Eternal Fire who tried to excise me from a peculiar girl in a most violent manner that would have done the poor girl grievous harm. I...drowned him. It seemed fitting to end the firebrand's life by water."

When she admits to drowning the man, it's clear that she doesn't fully take responsibility for the act, as if it was something that happened - like the weather - and she is only vaguely aware that she had something to do with it.

She takes another sip of wine. "And the usual white lies and meaningless hurts, yes I committed many in my life, but always with regret. I've hurt far fewer than your dear Odvara, that much I'm certain. Oh, did I mention? I can see her memories, and there is much she is keeping from you." The spirit reveals with secretive relish.
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top