D&D 5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Axel

First Post
Kyneton grinned, though there was no mirth in it. "I can't kill something that is not alive. And we made a deal. No killing, only talking."

Removing her hand from her sword butt, Kynee folded her arms across her chest. "I am called Kynee. Remember it if you stay in this world."

"It is our question though. What is it you miss most from the living world?"

[sblock=ooc]
I love these sorts of encounters (if you can't tell!) and would happily play it for months. I think I've got Kynee's personality a bit better sorted now, which is good. And dice!

I'm happy to move on when enough others are, though I've been greedy and kind hogging the story. Sorry. :-/
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
When no one else comes out, Talashia's limited patience quickly expires, and she steps back into the hut to glower at Odvara silently.

Fenris

Adventurer
Fergus sat with quiet reserve watching and listening to the exchanges. "I am Fergus. And my comrade here is not entirely correct, we can kill things that are not alive. However, as you alluded to earlier, I only kill monsters. As to what a monster is, well it is black and white. But it rests predominately on sentience, ecology, intent, and motivations. Not to mention commissions. Though of course, a witcher is free to decline a commission. So Lady of the Lake I believe that answers your question." Fergus notices Odvara's glances and gets up to fetch her a bowl of stew. "I am sure that you have missed the taste of food and wine without a body." he says handing her a bowl.

"So Lady of the Lake, while you inhabit the body of the Odvara, is there some way for you to help her control her powers? It would be a kind repayment to help the young lady not succumb to the vagarity of the the Source."

Shayuri

First Post
"Not quite as easy as that, hm?" Talashia asked with an edge to her voice. "Magic is a thing of the soul. Not the shell. I'm sure our guest has powers of her own, but Odvara's are submerged along with the rest of her."

Quickleaf

Legend
Tracing her fingers over her shoulder, the spirit within Odvara seems fascinated with the chill threatening to encroach with the deepening night and the dying flames of the hearth. She pulls the shawl about her shoulders, transfixing Talashia with an intent gaze of silent agreement. "Hmm, I suppose the thing I miss most," she says as her white eyes gaze at the dimming flames, "are the sounds of my father's court. The laughter, the songs, the bark of dogs, my mother's harp. Yes, it is the sounds I miss most."

For a moment it seems like she has forgotten Fergus' question entirely, but then the spirit in Odvara cranes her head to him, "I've...occupied...many travelers over the years. Most were like walking thru water - there would be resistance. But your Odvara was like stepping thru air. As soon as I was awakened by the disturbance in my lake, I was drawn into her. Perhaps this is the nature of her magical gift?" With a sigh she folds her arms, "I did have a talisman which was said to be protection from hostile magic. Yes, a gift from father. It's sunken in the lake. I tried many times to retrieve it, but it always slips thru my fingers. Perhaps the talisman could help her?"

Axel

First Post
Kynee mentally sighed, shaking her head. Such an obvious ploy to get one us helpless underwater, in her lair....

"Swimming in a mountain lake. In winter. Sounds delightful," she retorted sarcastically.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"What does this talisman look like?" Elora is not hiding her curiosity as she asks her question with wide eyes.

Quickleaf

Legend
"Oh yes, it is..." The spirit's voice trails off. Scrunching her brows above pure white eyes, the spirit in Odvara cocks her head as if only just realizing that Kynee was being sarcastic.

"It is a golden long triangle with defined edges and embossed waves...or perhaps flames...licking upward on its face. A sapphire is inset in the center. The chain affixes to the longest point on the triangle," she explains to Elora with great clarity.

Fenris

Adventurer
With a sardonic grin Fergus pipes in "Cats don't like water, maybe that is why Kynee is so ill taken with you. Or that they no longer teach the Witcher code in Stygga. Or apparently manners. If this talisman will help Odvara I will retrieve it."

Quickleaf

Legend
In the dead of night, not even the sound of the mountain goats can be heard, only the winds gently buffeting the cluster of pines outside and occasionally rushing over the cabin. While the half of you facing the hearth fire is warmed, the other half of your bodies feels the chill seeping in thru the shuttered windows.

Kynee is certain she sees malicious delight on the face of the spirit-in-Odvara at Fenris' proposal.

Fenris is certain he sees overwhelming gratitude on her face, as if the spirit-in-Odvara hadn't received such a kind gesture in a long time. "W-would you? Down in the lake? Yes, it could help her, the talisman... Your Odvara seems especially - how to put it? - permeable to magical influence. The talisman, it could help her."

The spirit-in-Odvara glances back to Kynee (or at least seems too - it's hard to tell with pure white eyes). While Witchers weren't unaccustomed to jumping into frigid lakes in the dead of night - an occupational hazard - the way the spirit looks at Kynee begs the question: Had this been the spirit's intention all along? To get them to lower their guard and retrieve her talisman? Or was she honestly trying to help?

OOC: Anyone is welcome to make a DC 13 Wisdom (Insight) check to gauge the spirit's motives based on her body language, speech, and mannerisms. Choose one thing you want to learn about her: Bond, Ideal, Flaw, Personality Traits, what her feelings are about the talisman, just get a general sense of whether she means you woe or weal, etc.

However, a result of 8 or less means you become entrenched in whatever belief about the spirit you already have; you can't make anymore Insight checks about the spirit.

A result of 18 or higher means you can gauge Odvara's state-of-being instead (if you wish), or gain two insights about the spirit (from the list above).

Last edited:

Remove ads