Wizard/Archer Creation

Kosh

First Post
A long time campaign I'm a PC in just restarted at level one... This time around, I wanted to play an archer-type character... After some thought, and a little bias towards spellcasting, I decided on Wizard as my base class... I'd like to keep it Wizard throughout to maximize spellcasting, even though the feats will suffer...

We've already began playing... In fact, the party is second level... The abilities that cannot be charged are thus:

Male Grey Elf
Wiz 2 (Conjurer [might change to Transmuter])

Stats: (32 point buy)
Str 6
Dex 20
Con 10
Int 18
Wis 10
Cha 8

Familiar:
Falcon (grants Precise Shot)

Feats:
Point Blank Shot

What I'm really looking for is first level spells for now, and higher level spells for the future... I've searched all the books I have, and I don't see any spells directly related to archery (besides the poor excuse for a spell: Flame Arrow)... I'm not aiming for Arcane Archer... He'll just cast GMW on his bow and 50 arrows every day...

I'm also wondering about feats... Is Rapid Shot worth it?... And as I've never played a Wizard before (I'm more of a Sorcerer type), what are the best item creation and metamagic feats?... I'm leaning towards craft arms and armor as well as craft wand...

And last but not least, are there any prestige classes I should know about?... I'm looking for a class that gives +1 Spellcasting Ability each level (or almost each level), not a warrior class... The Incantrix looks interesting as it allows for quick metamagic for extended GMW'd bow/arrows...

Any other comments would be appreciated...

BluWolf

Explorer
True Strike is the no brainer. Mirror Image, shield.

At higher levels, haste.

Rapid shot is worth it if you feel comfortabel enough not moving in around. Buy ALL the drinks for your party fighters when in town.
Not aware of any obvious choices for this character, other than Arcane Archer. Maybe your DM wouls allow a modified Spellsword Prc???

Shin Okada

Explorer
You have very high Dex and going to take those shooting feats. So any ranged touch spells should be good. Conjuration and Necromancy have very good ranged touch spells so do not make them your prohibited school. Disrupt Undead (0), Ray of Enfeeblement (1st), Melf's Acid Arrow (2nd), Flame Arrow (3rd), Enervation (4th), etc.

For the 1st-level, True Strike will help you hit some difficult targets. Mage Armor and Shield will protect you when your enemy shoot back. And Expeditious Retreat will help you keep distance from opponent.

Regarding feats, take Precise shot ASAP (at level 3). Rapid shot is good but as you have strength penalty, you should use light crossbow instead of regular/composite bow until you get some Strength Enhancing item or spells, or some magic bow/arrows with additional damage (such as Flaming/Frost/Shock).

Gaiden

Explorer
Tensor's Transformation!!!!!!!!!!

Get a Mighty bow +4, and raise that strenght. Get a wand of divine power if possible.

Cat's Grace (emp)
Bull's Str(emp)

Kosh

First Post
I was worried about the low Str for a while... But since we were on a point buy system, and I needed a high Int as well as Dex, I decided to dump Str... After all, it doesn't give any penalties to ranged combat...

Is it possible for an arcane spellcaster to use a wand of Divine Power?... I'm very familiar with the rules, and I don't see how this can be done without multiclassing...

I've chosen Evocation as my prohibited school... I figured that I would not need to do any hp damage through mass spells if I have the bow and spells for that... Conjuration seemed the best bet as it has some of my favorite spells, as well as some spells I've been thinking of making myself...

Does anyone think the loss of Evocation is too hefty?...

I agree on True Strike... Both for spells and for arrows... Ray of Enfeeblement seems good... But Melf's Acid Arrow seems pathetic... Cat's Grace is a no brainer... Mirror Image had slipped my mind, thanks for reminding me of it... I haven't really thought of any levels higher than second for now (besides the almighty Haste and Tenser's Transformation)...

I'm looking for spells that deal with archery and enchanting weapons... I can't find much of anything in the core and splat books... Does anyone know of any attack related archery spells?... Preferably Conjuration... In the mean time, I'll be writing my own spells and checking them for balance...

I sure do wish the search feature was functioning...

Thanks for your help so far... Any other comments?...

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Kosh said:
I was worried about the low Str for a while... But since we were on a point buy system, and I needed a high Int as well as Dex, I decided to dump Str... After all, it doesn't give any penalties to ranged combat...

You do realize that you don't get any points for lowering an attribute below 8, right? That 6 Strength didn't get you any points.

If a Grey Elf has -2 Strength, then disregard my musings.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Polymorph Self .... if you do not mind changing into a Troll (or stone giant) archer.

Kosh said:
I'm looking for spells that deal with archery and enchanting weapons... I can't find much of anything in the core and splat books... Does anyone know of any attack related archery spells?... Preferably Conjuration... In the mean time, I'll be writing my own spells and checking them for balance...

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Kosh said:

Well, it does keep you from effectively using mighty composite bows which are the best ranged weapons in the game. Depending upon your DM, he might enforce strength penalties to damage with regular bows too. So the low strength keeps you from using a superior class of missile weapons (with which you're proficient as an elf).

Is it possible for an arcane spellcaster to use a wand of Divine Power?... I'm very familiar with the rules, and I don't see how this can be done without multiclassing...

In order to use a wand, the spell has to be on your spell list. So, you're right: it's impossible to use a wand of Divine Power without multiclassing (or somehow picking up Use Magic Device--a Loremaster can do that).

I've chosen Evocation as my prohibited school... I figured that I would not need to do any hp damage through mass spells if I have the bow and spells for that... Conjuration seemed the best bet as it has some of my favorite spells, as well as some spells I've been thinking of making myself...

Does anyone think the loss of Evocation is too hefty?...

I agree on True Strike... Both for spells and for arrows... Ray of Enfeeblement seems good... But Melf's Acid Arrow seems pathetic... Cat's Grace is a no brainer... Mirror Image had slipped my mind, thanks for reminding me of it... I haven't really thought of any levels higher than second for now (besides the almighty Haste and Tenser's Transformation)...

I sure do wish the search feature was functioning...

Thanks for your help so far... Any other comments?...

1. Evocation is not too much of a sacrifice for a transmuter. With spells like Haste, Slow, Blindness/Deafness, Glitterdust, Burning Hands, Evards Black Tentacles, Wail of the Banshee, Phantasmal Killer, and Disintegrate at your disposal, you can still pack a lot of arcane punch if you want to.

2. Improved Invisibility is particularly good as defense for an archer--they won't automatically know your square like they would with a melee attack. Otiliuke's Freezing Sphere is a pretty good and versatile touch attack spell. It's not as good as Cone of Cold or Chain Lightning, but you can't cast evocations and it's useful against creatures with good fort saves (unlike disintegrate). Ice Knife is a very good second level area effect touch attack in Tome and Blood. Enervation is supposed to be a good ranged touch attack as well. Although you probably wouldn't want to keep it prepared, Dimensional Anchor is another useful ranged touch spell.

Remove ads