Wizard Names

StupidSmurf

First Post
El Finster- 2nd best wizard in the Realms

Lady Alustygal- Very randy wizardess who's second in command in Silverymoon

Morty Kainen- his magnificent mansions always end up having leaky roofs

Bigbeef- uses his Clenched fist spells to grab hamburgers

Nostrul- His magical auras light up your nose

Merf- If anything can go wrong with his acid arrows, they will.

Stumblefloor- Beleagured magic school headmaster whose been driven to drink by precocious annoying scarred kid.

Berlin- German wizard who gave King Arthur the scabbard for Excalibur

Ned- This wizard of Earthsea casts some nif-diddly-ifty spells, neighbor!

Jardis- This evil Narnian witch is a lot larger on the inside than she is on the outside
------
OK, in all seriousness, here's some wizard names used in my campaign, either by me or my players:

Sepulcrave, the Necromancer
Crematoria, the tutor of Sepulcrave
Mecunastor
Illakar
Setzer Giambiani
Malraz Alizar
Marcus
Shadyme (female elven wizard)

Kastil

Explorer
When going with a wizard name (and I don't know if goes along with the whole 'Gandalf' thing) I like to use the names of hockey players. Some of the more interesting ones sound... wizardy to me.

Roenick
Khabibulin
Zhitnik
Desjardins

etc..... nhl.com has a whole list to choose from.

Stormborn

Explorer
Personally I kind of like the idea of arcane spell casters who start off named "Bob" but later adopt a more suitable "name of power." But, I understand the OPs problem, we have a player who waits until the last min to name a PC (usually a ranger), and inevitablly winds up with a name like Bob or something another player or the GM picks for him.

Now, my first PC was Grayalyn Stormborn, a half-elf sorcerer. The name was rather simple, its mine -sorta. My middle name is Gray, my mother's maiden name as well, and my father's name is Lynn. So I became the Gray of Lynn - Grayalyn. Although the PC went by Grayl for short. And given the tornado warnings the night I was born, Stormborn was a fairly easy one to make as well.

BullMarkOne

First Post
http://translation.langenberg.com/

I often use the various translators linked from this page for npc names, just pick a word that describes the character, and a language to translate to and viola! instant interesting name. I mean how much more wizardy a name can ya have than wizard in say, Icelandic?

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

Has a great selection of random name (or anything) generators. I especially like the angel/demon namer for magicy type characters.

Staffan

Legend
StupidSmurf said:
El Finster- 2nd best wizard in the Realms
Actually, he lives in Huzuz and gets very annoyed if someone confuses him with that other glory-hound. And he's nowhere near being second-best, though he's no pushover at 12th level.

Zander

Explorer
EdL said:
Then there is always Blaise, Blaze, Blayze, etc. (Didn't Merlin use one of these sometimes?)
Merlin's master is referred to as Blaise in La Morte D'Arture though doesn't make an appearance IIRC.

Zander

Explorer
Anyone for Zander?

I would suggest Simkin but a) it's already been taken as a wizard's name (see my sig) and b) it's my name IRL (see me in person!)

sniffles

First Post
jasper said:
I like names like Kyle. Why should I have to suffer because someone who has trouble spelling in his own language try to come up with exotic name and spells with no vowels.
That kind of naming always disturbs my suspension of disbelief. I might know someone named Kyle, and then I'll always think of him when the name is said instead of thinking of the character. But there's no reason a "made-up" name has to be long or unpronounceable. If the player really wants something short and sweet, minor adjustments to "real-world" names could do the trick: Bren, Jorn, Tob, Nai, Lliw, Yram, Nasus, etc. :)

Remove ads