• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard vs. Sorcerer: Which one would you rather play? Which would you rather be?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
In 4 or 5, I'm a Bard/Warlock.

In 3.PF, I require a great deal of optional rules and the abuse thereof, but I am essentially a draconic Archaeologist/Shugenja/Chameleon.

Last edited:

E

Elderbrain

Wizard.

Despite the fact that the spellbook is definitely a burden and that Subtle Spell would be extremely handy, the simple fact that in my entire life as a Sorcerer I would never be able to learn more than only 15 spells is a dealbreaker.

For the emergency healing, I'd get a Magic Initiate feat.

Don't forget your six cantrips, plus (as you mention) you can take Magic Initiate to get some more spells (Cleric and Wizard having the most options), and then you can pick up a few more with Epic Boons. Of, course, if you multiclass, you can get more spells, even though they won't be Sorcerer spells.

superstition

First Post
the way illusions worked in 1e could be very powerful or very week, it really depended on the DM. Some DMs, a phantasmal forces spell would never fool anyone.

That's a case of bad DMing. The Phantasmal Force spells obviously weren't put into the book to make fools out of players or to sit there and be useless.

Phantasmal Force, as I recall, was one of the very first D&D spells, along with Fire Ball. So, based on the tradition of honoring tradition (like fireball) by refraining from the nerf bat, that's a double failure on the part of the DM.

Remove ads