WotC Wizard's Future Plans Has 3 Big Problems: Ft. The Professor of Tolarion Community College

darjr

I crit!
Are you saying like they would focus a season on Forgotten Realms products and then another season on Eberron, then maybe make some Greyhawk books for a season?
Like when they released Hoard of the Dragon Queen the AL "season" was focused on dealing with the Dragon cult and it's machinations. Albeit across a different part of the realms. But the PR was focused on that book too. And a lot of players were playing through it simultaneously. Especially as a book in AL.

Same with Princes, and the other early adventure books.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No. Like when they released Hoard of the Dragon Queen the AL "season" was focused on dealing with the Dragon cult and it's machinations. Albeit across a different part of the realms. But the PR was focused on that book too. And a lot of players were playing through it simultaneously. Especially as a book in AL.

Same with Princes, and the other early adventure books.
Okay. I understand what you are saying. That would be good for them to do, but I also like the increased release rate. It doesn't have to be 3e/4e speeds of release, but as you said in your prior post, the old rate was anemic.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My perception thus far is that most players liked the Spelljammer slipcase, and it was mostly in the circles of folks who have old edition books on their shelves that didn’t like how lore-lite it is and trash it on that basis.

The actual product is quite good, the only content problem I’ve seen was the hadozee, and most groups don’t use lore as written anyway.
The quality is good: I do feel that if the total page count was closer to 320 pages than 192, it could have been stronger, but what is there is great.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Are you saying like they would focus a season on Forgotten Realms products and then another season on Eberron, then maybe make some Greyhawk books for a season?
The way they did it in the past was tying Adventurer's League material to the bug Adventure releases. That started getting looser the DMsGuild basically made every release an evergreen source of third party material in their walled garden.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The way they did it in the past was tying Adventurer's League material to the bug Adventure releases.
Thri-kreen. Got it. ;)

But seriously now. I understand and think that's a good idea. Personally I won't touch AL with a 10 foot pole, but it's pretty popular from what I understand and that kind of tie in would make sense from a business standpoint. The players and DMs would want to buy the books for that season.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And then folks wonder why people look at the current 5e as the 'white bread' of even D&D, let alone RPGs.
More like sourdough.

There’s no reason to complicate sourdough. It works great with a bunch of different dishes and by itself, and it doesn’t, as the Irish say, have any notions.

doctorbadwolf

The quality is good: I do feel that if the total page count was closer to 320 pages than 192, it could have been stronger, but what is there is great.
Yeah I just feel like it’s a “setting” that is easy to bounce off of, more so the more details are in the main book for it.

And tbh I prefer having semi-official deep dives by original creators on DMsGuild, but the official material is quite light.

But hey, I’m basically only ever going to use Eberron (mostly) as written, the rest of my games just borrow elements from published settings, at most.

doctorbadwolf

@Scribe

Sure, I just disagree with the characterization. 🤷‍♂️

IMO it’s a good thing that 5e setting books are light manuals on running games with certain themes and assumptions that differ from the standard. I’d rather have that than the splintered lines of 2e or even the hodgepodge of 3.5 or the constant flow of new lore from 4e.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah I just feel like it’s a “setting” that is easy to bounce off of, more so the more details are in the main book for it.

And tbh I prefer having semi-official deep dives by original creators on DMsGuild, but the official material is quite light.

But hey, I’m basically only ever going to use Eberron (mostly) as written, the rest of my games just borrow elements from published settings, at most.
Really it just felt like some Adventure building tables, or extended system building guidance would have pushed it from a base hit to a home run for me.

Last edited:

Remove ads