WotC Wizards of the Coast Announces Sci-Fi Video Game with ex-BioWare Developers

Wizards of the Coast announced they are forming a new video game studio called Archetype...

Wizards of the Coast announced they are forming a new video game studio called Archetype Entertainment headed by former BioWare developers James Ohlen and Chad Robertson. Ohlen will serve as the Head of Studio while Robertson will take on the title of General Manager. The debut project from the studio will be an original IP, “set in an all-new science fiction universe that will send players on a story-driven epic where choices they make will have real consequences on how their story unfolds.”

archetype.png

Ohlen's credits at BioWare include Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Anthem, and of course Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, and Neverwinter Nights. Roberts served as Head of Technology for BioWare from 2015 to 2019 and Studio Director from 2017 to 2019. In addition to their video game credits, Ohlen and Robertson also collaborated on the recently released 5e compatible campaign setting book Odyssey of the Dragonlords distributed by Modiphius.

Wizards of the Coast originally announced the formation of this new video game studio in April of last year.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Reynard

Legend
I find the "halfway" point of the VTT to be more distracting. I love being able to play with my friends dispersed across the country, but sometimes it creates a video game mindset in some players and actually playing a video game would be more worthwhile.

In face to face games, I am bare bones and analog.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
I find the "halfway" point of the VTT to be more distracting. I love being able to play with my friends dispersed across the country, but sometimes it creates a video game mindset in some players and actually playing a video game would be more worthwhile.

In face to face games, I am bare bones and analog.

That sounds like where I sit. If I'm going to play TT D&D, it's in person and analog. If I can't play with everyone in the same room, around the same table, then I don't play and will do something else, or play a video game instead (a single-player game, I don't play multiplayer video games...I prefer a solo experience with video games...tried MP, just not for me).

I don't begrudge the existence of digital TT tools and their ilk, nor wish any ill upon those who find those things useful and/or enjoyable...but that kind of tech will simply never be something I bother with.

Reynard

Legend
I don't begrudge the existence of digital TT tools and their ilk, nor wish any ill upon those who find those things useful and/or enjoyable...but that kind of tech will simply never be something I bother with.

I resisted Fantasy Grounds for a long time. When I finally gave it a go, it was a revelation. Being able to play again with those friends on a regular schedule was amazing. it still is. But the cracks are starting to show and I either want less automation, or much more. It's the middle ground that is bothering me.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
I resisted Fantasy Grounds for a long time. When I finally gave it a go, it was a revelation. Being able to play again with those friends on a regular schedule was amazing. it still is. But the cracks are starting to show and I either want less automation, or much more. It's the middle ground that is bothering me.

For me it's the emotional feel of it. With a VTT, it felt wrong (not that it itself is wrong, merely it didn't feel right). Not being in the same space, seeing the dice roll, flip through the books...it just doesn't feel at all "right" to me being over a VTT. I'd rather not play at all to be honest (sad, but TT gaming is very much an in-person activity for me...no digital aids will ever be able to effectively simulate it for me).

Reynard

Legend
For me it's the emotional feel of it. With a VTT, it felt wrong (not that it itself is wrong, merely it didn't feel right). Not being in the same space, seeing the dice roll, flip through the books...it just doesn't feel at all "right" to me being over a VTT. I'd rather not play at all to be honest (sad, but TT gaming is very much an in-person activity for me...no digital aids will ever be able to effectively simulate it for me).
It's definitely a different beast, but for me it is better than NOT being able to play with old friends.

Remove ads

Remove ads