D&D General Wizards of the Coast has its biggest Quarter Ever, with D&D down a smidge. From Comicbook.com

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I see what you're saying. Like they don't specifically call out D&D but they do MtG. Is D&D the only "table top" game they have sans MtG? Just seems odd to put it out that way if they aren't including MtG in the table top category.
Why is there a licensed category under Magic and under D&D?

JEB

Legend
Then you are insisting that the Licensed games category simultaneously made and lost money
How do you figure? I'm just pointing out that "tabletop revenue" is not one and the same as "D&D revenue". And once again, the original article said that most of the growth in "tabletop revenue" was from MTG, meaning revenue from MTG tabletop products. By definition, that means the share of tabletop revenue from D&D tabletop products was something less than MTG's share.

D&D's overall performance is not just in "tabletop" D&D revenue, but also in other categories such as video games - hence Dark Alliance dragging the D&D category down overall.

Likewise, MTG being up 11% presumably applies to all MTG revenue from all streams, not just tabletop.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
How do you figure? I'm just pointing out that "tabletop revenue" is not one and the same as "D&D revenue". And once again, the original article said that most of the growth in "tabletop revenue" was from MTG, meaning revenue from MTG tabletop products. By definition, that means the share of tabletop revenue from D&D tabletop products was something less than MTG's share.

D&D's overall performance is not just in "tabletop" D&D revenue, but also in other categories such as video games - hence Dark Alliance dragging the D&D category down overall.

Likewise, MTG being up 11% presumably applies to all MTG revenue from all streams, not just tabletop.
There's a licensed game category under both Magic and D&D. We know the second one is D&D because it was down. Between it and the overall D&D row is tabletop games.

We know the other licensed game line is for Magic, because we know that one was up.

This indicates that location matters. The presenter likely read off Magic information and then D&D info because that's how quarterly calls are done, by category.

We should assume that primary source data is more accurate than a summation of that primary source

JEB

Legend
We should assume that primary source data is more accurate than a summation of that primary source
You are correct. So I went and dug up a transcript of the earnings call.

On tabletop revenues, it's clearly tabletop broadly:
Tabletop revenues grew 15%. MAGIC: THE GATHERING led with 11% revenue gains and is up 10% year to date.
No mention of D&D's share of the 15%. In fact, they only mention D&D later in this section in terms of D&D Beyond, digital stuff, and the brand:
We expect D&D Beyond to be a growth platform, particularly as we turbocharge the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS brand with blockbuster entertainment, digital games and consumer products in 2023, leading into the brand's 50th anniversary in 2024.

Later, someone asks for clarification on D&D's share of the Wizards business:
Steph Wissink -- Jefferies -- Analyst

Thanks. Good morning, everyone. We have two questions. Chris, the first one is for you.

It's just on helping us dimensionalize the Wizards of the Coast business between MAGIC and D&D. I think you've said in the past that you expect incremental growth to be coming from D&D over time. So share with us a little bit about the size of that business relative to MAGIC and what your expectations are. And then if you could just remind us what percentage of the Wizards business is domestic.
Cocks gives a fairly lengthy answer, which can be read through the link, but the gist is:
  • 70% to 80% of Wizards' business is MTG (so somewhere less than 30% is D&D)
  • Seeing a lot of growth opportunity through D&D Beyond, 85% of users are in U.S./Canada but hoping to move beyond North America
  • They say you can "see the tabletop industry as being very vital and robust" being reflected in the 15% growth
  • Lots of plans to expand the brand in the wake of the "blockbuster" movie in 2023 ("all-new tabletop games" included, but that's only one part)

Someone also asks for more specifics on D&D Beyond's contribution, most they say is it's "very small for the quarter" but emphasize how it's really about future opportunities.

TheSword

Legend
Yeah, this is overall still good news for D&D. Another explanation that comes to mind for me is that the big Q2 tabletop release was delayed until Q3.
Good news? It’s amazing news!

+17% operating profit off a +3% revenue gain is incredible. That’s a big pay off from the previous years work on development.

I still can’t quite come to terms with the fact that operating profit is almost half of revenue. That is was one hell of a margin. It’s not EBITDA but it’s a good indication.

I guess this is not off-topic:

Wizards of the Coast will no longer publish Russian or Korean language Magic: The Gathering cards. Today, Wizards of the Coast announced that it was discontinuing Russian, Korean, and Chinese (Traditional).

What happens with (South) Korea?

---

Maybe M:tG is the main brand by WotC, but D&D has got a great potential future, not only by players, but also the fandom who is interesting into to write their own (fanart/amateur) stories.

I don't know the data but I guess they are making money with the Magic: online, because they don't need the best team for the software, but designers focused in the gameplay.

My fear is in the end of 2022 and the 2023 to be a horrible year for global economy, and here it woudn't be Hasbro's fault at all. And the possible future mergers and acquisitions could change radically the entertaiment industry. Teorically Hasbro would rather to keep the independence, but in good relations with the rest of companies for the possible licence agremeents. But if there are surprises, then some strategies could change.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Good news? It’s amazing news!

+17% operating profit off a +3% revenue gain is incredible. That’s a big pay off from the previous years work on development.

I still can’t quite come to terms with the fact that operating profit is almost half of revenue. That is was one hell of a margin. It’s not EBITDA but it’s a good indication.
Well, a lot of that is Magic, oke of the most profitable games in history, but both brands are solid pillars now.

Remove ads