D&D 5E Wizards planning a change to lycanthropes?

So just to be clear:

Old:
Normal weapon: no damage
Silver weapon: full damage
Magical weapon: full damage
Spell: full damage

New:
Normal weapon: full damage, regen 10
Silver weapon: full damage, no regen
Magical weapon: full damage, regen 10
Spell: full damage, no regen.

Do I have that right?
Looks like it. My initial praise for the new version was based on spells not negating regeneration, but it actually seems to work like this worthless version.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I don't know if I like it. I mean, I like that it gives silver weapons a greater use*, but regeneration 10 is nothing. Even if they went full troll and it continues to regen after hitting 0 hp. Maybe they'll go full troll-style and it will continue regenerating after hitting 0 hp.

* Now if only they would bring back something like a well-defined cold iron for demons and the like.

Zardnaar

Legend
Magic weapons are really pretty common by the standards of PHB145 where armor prices are listed & silvered weapons are even more common. If the GM is going to say "you can't buy them" that's a choice for their campaign & they can provide some kind of work around if they want their players to have an exception. "the gm says they don't exist" isn't a good reason to design monsters so a bunch of other problems are created for every game where they do.
View attachment 134765

I'm going to agree with others that fire shouldn't be the go to nuke regen damage type because WotC went out of their way to make it so common and typically the best option. It's not like people are attacking monsters with torches or dropping to d4/d6 cantrips to deal fire damage

Damn that's expensive. Xanathars sells a magic sword for 50gp.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Damn that's expensive. Xanathars sells a magic sword for 50gp.
moontouched?
1616972169677.png

I thought about mentioning it but left it out since it not explicitly stating it counts as magical it falls to the gm to decide unlike the ~500gp +1 weapon priced in both dmg & xge.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Honestly, the implementation of Regeneration in 5e is one of the most idiotic design decisions imaginable. Or at least the part where it is almost always shut off by the most common cantrips. I've never ONCE, not ONE SINGLE TIME in hundreds of games over the years since 5e has come out ever run or played in a game where the PCs were not easily able to shut down non-house-ruled regeneration immediately.

For my own games, I've had to houserule in exotic weaknesses, spell level limits, and/or delays on the "come back from the dead" part of the ability to make the ability relevant.

JEB

Legend
I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that this rules change was intended to make PC lycanthropes work better, and that's certainly not indicated in any way by Perkins' tweet. (Besides, regen 10 is still a big deal for a PC, even if it doesn't scale.)

Seems more to me that they're experimenting with the design of established core monsters, like lycanthropes... which is something you would do if you're considering some kind of core rules overhaul.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I quite like this change, gives martial combatants a change to whittle down the lycanthrope, though they still need silver weapons of spell damage to finish them off. I'm actually fine with it being damage from silver weapons or a spell rather than damage from silver weapons or spells.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Seems more to me that they're experimenting with the design of established core monsters, like lycanthropes... which is something you would do if you're considering some kind of core rules overhaul.
This might be related to the Ravenloft book. Ravenloft gives its core monsters all sorts of weird abilities and they might have decided to try regeneration out for it.

I'm just guessing, of course. And if this is really a playtest thing and not just an announcement where they're pretending to playtest it, then it's obviously too late for the RL book.

Remove ads