D&D (2024) Wizards Presents show on August 18th! Update: WotC announces guests and time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Honestly, I'd love if they straight-up lifted the Encounter rules from Doctors & Daleks. Include columns for hard and deadly encounters instead of all medium, and you're set. Extend the chart to cover CR30 encounters and you're done.
I'm not familiar, but something like that would be delightful.

darjr

I crit!
The post Mike Shea humbly submitted to Ray Winninger.

His main points are: Make 5.5 Fully 5e Compatible. Include Easier Encounter Building. Include "Theater of the Mind" Guidelines for Combat. Strengthen High-CR Monsters. Fix Certain Spells and Abilities. Include Tasha Upgrades. Provide Less Problematic Race Descriptions. Update the System Resource Document under the Open Gaming License. Leave the Rest Be.

Of those only one or two need any more explanation than the above. And a few of them we've been told are definitely how they're moving forward, such as backward compatibility, and they've already included others into newer products, such as Tasha's racial bonus flexibility and beefing-up higher CR monsters (as seen in Monsters of the Multiverse).
@Morrus

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, I'm also hoping for a few tweaks to classes. They wouldn't impact compatibility and would be most welcome (at least by me).
The Monk and Barbarian need a hard flavor refresh: great Classes, but Monastacism is a Background not a Class, and Barbarian...yikes.
We do know they're going to reduce or eliminate short-rest mechanics. So there will be changes to the monk and warlock at least. They might simply get some kind of recharge ability used X times per long rest or prof bonus per long rest. I really hope they update the classes to include some of the options from Tasha's. The ranger especially needs some help.
The big issue for the Short Rest Classes is that tables that allow the 5 minute work day end up making them look "weak." The math for a daily resource usage is already built in, just make it explicitly per day and table proof them.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm not familiar, but something like that would be delightful.
The short version is: take the math that Blog of Holding sussed out of the 5E MM, put it in a chart, and have the encounter's hp be directly based on the number of PCs. But, the real killer app of Doctors & Daleks is the encounter covers any number of enemies. Want to face a thousand goblins at 1st level? You're covered. Attacks are simple. When you have more PCs than monsters, each monster gets one attack. When you have more monsters than PCs, each PC is attacked once with advantage. Once the encounter's hp runs out, the remaining monsters (if any), run away or surrender.

Maybe not exactly like that for the update, but it's an amazing system for building quick, balanced encounters.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The big issue for the Short Rest Classes is that tables that allow the 5 minute work day end up making them look "weak." The math for a daily resource usage is already built in, just make it explicitly per day and table proof them.
Exactly. Something like "as an action you can recharge your spent ki points or spell slots twice per long rest" would put them exactly where the designers intended. Day of encounters, two short rests, one long rest. Lather, rinse, repeat. This would also allow those classes to nova better in groups with 5MWDs. Maybe even as a reaction, free action, or bonus action. Who knows.

But, given their new-found love of the prof bonus times per long rest mechanics, they'll likely use that instead, which will require a bit more fiddling. They'll have to change the numbers a lot more if they go this route. So hopefully they won't do it. The "recharge twice per long rest" above is a simple errata that can be used with older books. Prof bonus per long rest would require redesigned charts and tables.

darjr

I crit!
Started a new thread for just Sly's proposed changes and Ray's nod for them here

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Exactly. Something like "as an action you can recharge your spent ki points or spell slots twice per long rest" would put them exactly where the designers intended. Day of encounters, two short rests, one long rest. Lather, rinse, repeat. This would also allow those classes to nova better in groups with 5MWDs. Maybe even as a reaction, free action, or bonus action. Who knows.

But, given their new-found love of the prof bonus times per long rest mechanics, they'll likely use that instead, which will require a bit more fiddling. They'll have to change the numbers a lot more if they go this route. So hopefully they won't do it. The "recharge twice per long rest" above is a simple errata that can be used with older books. Prof bonus per long rest would require redesigned charts and tables.
The prof per day conversion may be easier than it looks st first blush, if you look at the progression math.

Remove ads