D&D (2024) Wizards Presents show on August 18th! Update: WotC announces guests and time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Absolutely. They can massage the numbers. My point was that the simplest way to do it was the recharge twice per long rest ability rather than rework the numbers, etc. Not that one worked and the other didn't. For me, simplicity is key. Baking in a twice per long-rest recharge does all the work without having to change anything but add that one line.
I expect simplicity is why theybwill go for the Prof bonus as the key.

OB1

Jedi Master
Absolutely. They can massage the numbers. My point was that the simplest way to do it was the recharge twice per long rest ability rather than rework the numbers, etc. Not that one worked and the other didn't. For me, simplicity is key. Baking in a twice per long-rest recharge does all the work without having to change anything but add that one line.
This.

I've been doing 5 minute short rests with a limit of 2 per long rest as a house-rule since 2014. Players love it and it makes for an easier way to do a 3 deadly encounter day. They can also keep the old 1 hour short with no limit as an alternate. Hope they make the change.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That will radically alter the Warlock and Monk, who are specifically balanced around short rests, it'd be a huge nerf. Not a big deal with say Channel Divinity, but Warlocks and Monks it will be huge issue.
Not at all: they are balanced to be a full caster and a half caster, respectively. As long as the ratio is maintained, there is no nerf. But yes, it would require a significant restructuring.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh. To each their own of course, but I don’t see how something more complicated can be said to be done for simplicity’s sake.
Hiw is a table that is keyed to "multiply your proficiency bonus" complex...? As it stands, a Level 20 Warlock gets 12 Spell slots in a Standard Adventure Day, accounting fir Short Rests...which is to say, twice their Prof bonus. A Monk is expected to have 60 Ki points at Level 20...10 times their Prof Bonus.

The Wizard's Presents Hype Machine in the media is ramping up!!!

Reynard

Legend
This.

I've been doing 5 minute short rests with a limit of 2 per long rest as a house-rule since 2014. Players love it and it makes for an easier way to do a 3 deadly encounter day. They can also keep the old 1 hour short with no limit as an alternate. Hope they make the change.
The thing about short rests is it doesn't matter how long they are if it doesn't matter how long they are. That is, if you aren't in a dungeon making wandering monster checks over "2 turns" then the only difference between 5minutes and an hour is a few spell durations.

OB1

Jedi Master
The thing about short rests is it doesn't matter how long they are if it doesn't matter how long they are. That is, if you aren't in a dungeon making wandering monster checks over "2 turns" then the only difference between 5minutes and an hour is a few spell durations.
IME the difference lies in the fiction around the adventure the PCs are on. Sometimes an hour rest doesn't matter, sometimes the PCs feel like going to ground for that long could lead to complications. For my group, 5 minutes seems to be the sweet spot.

That said, something as short as a 2 action short rest could work fine as well. You start it with one action, if you move, use a reaction or take damage before you take your next action, the short rest fails (which could be a fun way for a Fighter to use Action Surge), otherwise you use your action to 'short rest' and gain the benefits, ending your turn. You can take a short rest twice per day in this way.

And really, even a 1 action short rest with the 2 per day limit would probably work fine.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases