• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wizkids new Dragon preview.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
So they have two white dragons? Seems like an odd choice.

One is the adult dragon, and is more normal sized. The larger is the gargantuan ancient dragon, and is meant to be the first of their new "epic minis" line.

I can't remember the date it's released (this December?) but they said the Black Dragon is the next epic (they said January?), then they will periodically release the rest until all chromatic/mettalic are covered.

dave2008

Legend
One is the adult dragon, and is more normal sized. The larger is the gargantuan ancient dragon, and is meant to be the first of their new "epic minis" line.

I can't remember the date it's released (this December?) but they said the Black Dragon is the next epic (they said January?), then they will periodically release the rest until all chromatic/mettalic are covered.
Well that is awesome. I guess I will just have to wait for the "epic" red. Or maybe I will pick up all 5 and make an epic Tiamat. Oh wait, I already did that:

5_headed_dragon_statue_by_fritofrito_d8fuz4v-fullview.jpg

pukunui

Legend
Yes, I am excited for the revival of the big dragon figures. I've got the old gargantuan blue and gargantuan white (Icingdeath). Never got the black one because I didn't like the sculpt (standing up on its hind legs with its wings stretched out straight) and couldn't afford the colossal red.

I was always a bit disappointed that they never did a big green. I'd like a massive green dragon figure of Old Gnawbone, maybe it could even have a corpse dangling from the jaws (hence her nickname)!

I'm loving that construct dragon, too. I want that.

pukunui

Legend
The latest issue of Dragon+ indicates that the gargantuan white they previewed is none other than Arveiaturace herself!

I note that the prototype doesn't have a dead wizard stuck in a saddle on her back, which is a little disappointing, but I suppose they want to make the figure double as a generic gargantuan white dragon as well.

jgsugden

Legend
It would be nice to have a gargantuan green and gargantuan red to match the line of the old WotC dragons. I've made a Pathfinder Red and repainted a dragon statue to serve as the green, but I still want ones that fir better... and I'd also like a rebuilt black as the old one was not really made to threaten PCs.... he was born to dance!

dave2008

Legend
oh the pic on hector arce's site is yours? cool :D

I got one as well back in 2015, when the price was $750 USD. now its $2500...

Sanjay
No, that is not mine, I just used that pick. I thought I only paid $550 USD for mine, but I could be miss-remembering (it was a while ago). I was actually in the process of making some revisions (to make it look more like the "official" chromatic dragons) when it got thrown off my work table and broke into several pieces. I haven't repaired it yet (thus the reason I didn't show an image of mine). I am waiting until both of my sons are off to university and I can get my work room back (it is a home gym now).

PS If they are going for $2,500 I may have to consider selling mine (after I put it back together of course)!

StarFyre

Explorer
No, that is not mine, I just used that pick. I thought I only paid $550 USD for mine, but I could be miss-remembering (it was a while ago). I was actually in the process of making some revisions (to make it look more like the "official" chromatic dragons) when it got thrown off my work table and broke into several pieces. I haven't repaired it yet (thus the reason I didn't show an image of mine). I am waiting until both of my sons are off to university and I can get my work room back (it is a home gym now).

PS If they are going for $2,500 I may have to consider selling mine (after I put it back together of course)!

interesting you say that.

I prefer the 3e style of heads, so im going to be redoing the red dragon head based on the art of Klauth in the 3e FR campaign book from May 2000 IIRC.(mouth closed though since it will be easier i think). i made a rough mold in 2 parts of the current red dragon head. will combine together, dremel it down and add all the extra spikes, etc that 3e/4e/5e red dragons have compared to the older dragon arts (2e/1e)...

will try to extend the black horns and may give the blue a bit of an overbite on the lower jaw, but that would be a minor change...

i do want to extend the tail but havent decided on if i want to change direction and sculpt a large amount of it, or just add a couple more larger sections to make it a bit longer.

its such a cool model. the best tiamat by far and such a show piece... mine is still in parts :D

Sanjay

dave2008

Legend
interesting you say that.

I prefer the 3e style of heads, so im going to be redoing the red dragon head based on the art of Klauth in the 3e FR campaign book from May 2000 IIRC.(mouth closed though since it will be easier i think). i made a rough mold in 2 parts of the current red dragon head. will combine together, dremel it down and add all the extra spikes, etc that 3e/4e/5e red dragons have compared to the older dragon arts (2e/1e)...

will try to extend the black horns and may give the blue a bit of an overbite on the lower jaw, but that would be a minor change...
Yes the red head was the big one for me. I took the head apart and had it wire in an open mouth position, but I hadn't re sculpted anything yet. I also want to make significant changes to the black head, but haven't started on it. I did remove and relocate the blue horn forward on its snout and that looks good. I don't plan any changes for the green or white heads at this time.

i do want to extend the tail but havent decided on if i want to change direction and sculpt a large amount of it, or just add a couple more larger sections to make it a bit longer.
I changed the direction of the tail spike and I did think of lengthening the tail, but I didn't do it. Perhaps when I get back at I will do that, and consider lengthening the body too - that is an interesting idea. I've also thought about making the feet a bit bigger.

its such a cool model. the best tiamat by far and such a show piece... mine is still in parts :D

Sanjay
In general I agree; however, I have seen one that was better IMO, but it was a one-off custom job. It was a near perfect replica of the 3e look and was similar in scale to this one. However, it was climbing on some rocks or something and I prefer free-standing models (and it wasn't for sale). Sadly, I can't even find an image of it on the internet anymore and I don't know what I did with the images I saved.

Dave

StarFyre

Explorer
Yes the red head was the big one for me. I took the head apart and had it wire in an open mouth position, but I hadn't re sculpted anything yet. I also want to make significant changes to the black head, but haven't started on it. I did remove and relocate the blue horn forward on its snout and that looks good. I don't plan any changes for the green or white heads at this time.

I changed the direction of the tail spike and I did think of lengthening the tail, but I didn't do it. Perhaps when I get back at I will do that, and consider lengthening the body too - that is an interesting idea.

In general I agree; however, I have seen one that was better IMO, but it was a one-off custom job. It was a near perfect replica of the 3e look and was similar in scale to this one. However, it was climbing on some rocks or something and I prefer free-standing models (and it wasn't for sale). Sadly, I can't even find an image of it on the internet anymore and I don't know what I did with the images I saved.

Dave

Would you be able or willing to attach pics of just the tail change you did, blue head, and jaw of red cause it seems you are doing much larger work than I am planning.

I don't think this is the other tiamat as you believe the one you saw was on rocks. It's not this one right? This is quite a bit smaller hehe. That pic is from the person that sold me a Tony McVey original gojirasaurus. (Tony's depiction of Godzilla if it was a real world dinosaur -- 32 inches long.. Tony McVey is a Hollywood artist that did alien designs for Jabba's palace in return of the Jedi, among many other films and is currently an artist for Disney+ The mandalorian). Probably one of the hardest garage kits to find. That seller collects all sorts of Hollywood and other interesting models.

I want to see that tiamat you saw. Now it will bother me... Thanks. Thanks a lot :p

Sanjay

Attachments

• received_718880728613054.jpeg
    received_718880728613054.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 725
  • received_489106755152819.jpeg
    received_489106755152819.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 223

Remove ads