WizKids Previews New D&D Mini Sets

Interesting that it looks like there is a single huge creature in the set.

When I heard about the spell effects minis I got excited, but then I see they aren't designed to have them share the same space with other minis. I have a need for minis I can put under characters.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I used to refuse to buy these when I first got back into gaming, for the same reason I hat Lego blind packs, and collectible card games. I felt less animosity towards the practice, for miniatures at least, after listening to an interview with Justin Ziran, president of WizKids, on Dragon Talk (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/justin-ziran-and-kate-irwin-wizkids-miniatures).

Prior to that, I would only buy from E-Bay sellers that would sell the minis individually, based on point systems.

But I ended up buying a WizKids Miniature "brick" and was pretty happy. Maybe because I got both Strahd and Esmeralda. It bought another brick for Tomb of Annihilation and was also happy. Yes, you get doubles but they are usually for creatures where it can help to have multiples of them. Overall, it is a cheap way to get a lot prepainted minis. I still go to Ebay when there are specific items I want. I recommend shopping around. The price for Wizkids mini bricks varies quite a bit from one source to another. I usually find Amazon to be the best deal because they are lower than in-store and I don't have shipping costs.

The walls would have been more attractive if they had included Stone and Force and cut the numbers of each to 3. It is a rare situation that would require 6 of one kind.
Keep in mind the walls are only 10 feet long. The sample pictures show a row of three.
As the spell makes a wall up to 60 feet long, you need all 6 to make that, but the set allows you to adjust the size (or kinda make that ring).

-edit-
if they sell well, I imagine they'll follow it with walls of stone and iron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Those magic effect minis do seem a bit bland after seeing some of the Warhammer Age of Sigmar spell effects:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/searchResults?N=647457687+1097126624

As for random minis... It depends on what's in the set. I bought quite a few cases when WotC was still doing their own prepainted minis. But these days it would probably be more efficient to buy a few of the ones I want through resellers. But that's because I have a big collection already.

fjw70

Adventurer
As for random minis... It depends on what's in the set. I bought quite a few cases when WotC was still doing their own prepainted minis. But these days it would probably be more efficient to buy a few of the ones I want through resellers. But that's because I have a big collection already.

Same here. The pack are great when you need/want everything. These days I mostly buy individual minis from Miniature Market.

aco175

Legend
Wow, just looked at the close up pics linked above. Some look good, but many look cheap and goofy, especially the humanoids. There is also many that use the same mold, but have a sword rather than a spear, or painted different. I'm feeling a bit let down.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Wow, just looked at the close up pics linked above. Some look good, but many look cheap and goofy, especially the humanoids. There is also many that use the same mold, but have a sword rather than a spear, or painted different. I'm feeling a bit let down.

To be fair the alternates provide more variety, not less.

The alternative is to just end up getting 2 of the identical mini.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases